Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#86760 by Toots
Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:32 pm
Yesterday my Scout stopped working. Unplugged power and let rest later plugged in and the lights came on as if it was
OK but then the bottom 4 lights remained red, no blinking, just red and the little ooma at the top is red.

I can use the phone from the Scout but doubt it will ring or do anything else. The first clue I had that something was
wrong was when I received a call and nobody was there, it happened again and the third time it did not ring but I could
hear it ringing on another phone and someone was there.

Have only used the Scout for a few months even though have used the Hub for a year now.

Any suggestions of things I may do to correct this?

Thanks

Toots
#86762 by murphy
Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:12 pm
The bottom 4 lights on the scout means that the scout is having problems communicating with the hub.
Check the wiring between the hub's wall port and the scout's wall port.
As a test sit them side by side and connect the two wall ports with a short phone cable.
#86788 by Toots
Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:28 am
Thanks murphy, you were correct when I moved the scout next to the hub it turned blue as it should. However,
when I took it back upstairs and reconnected it was red again. Tried the same phone line used when they were connected
together but it did not help.

I have removed and replugged in all the connections between the hub and scout but nothing has helped.

Thanks again, any more suggestions?

Toots
#86789 by murphy
Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:36 am
The only thing left is the wiring in the walls.
Do you have DSL? A DSL signal on that connection would stop it from working.
#86791 by Toots
Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:05 am
Nope, I am on cable. I have used the scout for about 4-6 months now. Nothing has been done to my wiring.
Why would it suddenly have a problem?

Toots
#86795 by thunderbird
Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:46 am
Toots wrote:Nope, I am on cable. I have used the scout for about 4-6 months now. Nothing has been done to my wiring.
Why would it suddenly have a problem?

Toots

You now know that connecting the Hub to the Scout, when located next to each other, with a short phone cord, allows the Scout to function normally.

Next you could try a little test to see if the extra phone cord/wire resistance is causing your problem.

See if you have or can locate some extra phone cord or wire that is the length of the distance, or slightly longer, from your Hub to the Scout, as it has been installed in your home for the last several months.

Plug the longer phone cord or wire into the Hub and Scout and test.

If the extra long phone cord/wiring works, than you know that the problem is with the wiring in the walls, or the short jumper phone cords from the Hub to the wall outlet, or from the wall outlet to the Scout. Sometimes all you have to do is open the wall receptacle and tighten the receptacle wire attach screws to make better contact.

If the longer phone cord or wire test doesn’t work, then something is wrong with the Scout or the Hub. It may be something like the Scout's power adapter failing. If the Scout is failing, it may have the one year warranty you could fall back on. You'd have to check with Ooma Customer Service.
#86800 by Toots
Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:44 pm
I will have to look for a shorter phone cable. Mine all seem to be long or longer. But I maybe have more.

Will remove the case over the phone jack upstairs and check for tight wires.

Will report back if I ever get it working.

Thanks so much.

Toots
#86835 by Toots
Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:52 am
Got it working. It was the jack to which it was attached. I tried it on another jack in the next room and it worked,
so I knew it was the jack so I removed the cover, tightened the screws and applied WD40 to them and it cured whatever
ailed it.

I thank you for all the help and excellent advice, you are a talented, good group.

Toots