Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#85947 by utlax18
Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:48 pm
OK, have been using Ooma for a year just connected to the one wireless base phone and would like to get whole house distribution. Went to the NIB box outside and unplugged the "phone line" modules. Plugged the line from "Phone" in the back of Ooma to the wall jack and I get nothing. No dial tone, no busy signal. We had Comcast VOIP before Ooma, and we only had one phone line. So, I am curious what steps I am missing to get the signal whole house distributed.

Thanks in advance, I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I just can't find an example of my situation.

Mike
#85948 by lbmofo
Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:51 pm
When you had comcast digital phone service, did they set it up so you had whole house distributed dialtone?

Have you tried another walljack?
#85987 by lbmofo
Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:23 am
If you had Comcast right before Ooma and Comcast setup your house for dialtone distro, feeding Ooma's "phone" port (make sure not "wall" port) to the same walljack Comcast used to feed to should do the trick.

If you have a NIB like this:

Make sure didn't/don't touch any wires connected to the screws. Just unplug the plug that connects your house to the telephone company. A friend used to have dialtone distro in whole house when he had Comcast but feeding Ooma to the same walljack didn't work for him either before we fixed something. The reason for him was between Ooma and Comcast, he also signed up for traditional landline (the landline techs messed with his NIB).
#86239 by utlax18
Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:28 pm
HI again...took a picture of the NIB for you. All I did was unplug the 2 modules located at the top.. Pic of the NIB is attached. Still don't get whole house distro.

Thanks!

Mike
Attachments
P8200006.JPG
P8200006.JPG (28.75 KiB) Viewed 3325 times
#86279 by lbmofo
Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:27 pm
You have the hinge door type NIB, hinge door closing connects the house to telephone company.

For this type of NIB, best to get the wires off the screw terminals.

Are there any wires connected to the screw terminals?

It looks like you have 2 wire bunches going into the house.

Do a test with the hinge door open (leave it open), connect the 2 blue wires to the red screw terminal, connect the 2 white/blue wires to the green screw terminal. See if Ooma dialtone distro works.

If it does, then you need to get the wires off the screws and connect them together using butt connectors. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1 ... ogId=10053

Then, you can close the hinge doors.
#86306 by utlax18
Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:23 am
Thanks..I'll check it out later today. The modules didn't seem to "connect" when I shut the door, but I'll try your suggestions and see what happens. Hey, much appreciate your time helping us "telephony challenged" folks :)

Mike
#86449 by utlax18
Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:46 am
Hi lbmofo-

The wires do not connect to any " screw terminals"...they just connect to the female type modules you see in the pic. So should I just remove the wires from the modules and try connecting them per you earlier instructions?

Thx,
Mike
#86485 by lbmofo
Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:45 am
I haven't seen the "female" type connections before. But you try getting the wires off and try twisting them together first. If you got 2 wire bunches, blue to blue, white/blue to white/blue, orange to orange, white/orange to white/orange and try the ooma dialtone home distro.