Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#84927 by Morac
Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:54 pm
I bought the Bluetooth adapter for my Ooma Telo awhile back. I paired it with my iPhone 3GS and tested it and I could make and answer calls without issue.

Today my Internet connection went down and since I have Ooma set up to forward to my iPhone when my net connection is down, I decided to connect it to the Bluetooth adapter so I could answer calls with my home phones.

The iPhone 3GS connected to the Ooma and my home phones rang when I transferred calls to the Ooma and when I received incoming calls on my cell phone. The problem is that I can't hear anything when using my home phone and others can't hear me either. I tested a Bluetooth headset with my iPhone 3GS and that worked fine.

I tried unplugging the Ooma and plugging it back in as well as rebooting my iPhone 3GS, but still there was no audio. So it's not working. It used to work a few months ago, the last time I used it.

There's three choices as to what's wrong:
1. The Bluetooth audio doesn't work when the Ooma Telo loses connection to the Internet. I don't know why that should make a difference though. Edit: this was the problem.
2. An Ooma software update broke it. I have 47785.
3. An iPhone software update broke it. I have 4.3.5 installed.

I guess the adapter could have broke, but considering it's ringing my phones, that seems unlikely.
Last edited by Morac on Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#84936 by Morac
Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:13 pm
Okay it started working when the Internet came back up, but that makes no sense. Why would the audio not work when the service is down? I guess it tries to check if Bluetooth is allowed, but the check fails since the connection is down, but the checking method must be really dumb if that's the problem.

As is, that means forwarding calls to your cell on a net outage and trying to answer via the BT adapter doesn't work. What's worse is that it still does the transfer, but there's just dead air. I have to manually transfer the call back to my iPhone. So not only doesn't it work, it makes things worse.
#84947 by thunderbird
Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:29 am
Morac wrote:Okay it started working when the Internet came back up, but that makes no sense. Why would the audio not work when the service is down? I guess it tries to check if Bluetooth is allowed, but the check fails since the connection is down, but the checking method must be really dumb if that's the problem.

As is, that means forwarding calls to your cell on a net outage and trying to answer via the BT adapter doesn't work. What's worse is that it still does the transfer, but there's just dead air. I have to manually transfer the call back to my iPhone. So not only doesn't it work, it makes things worse.

I did a little test and found that the Ooma server supplies the dial tone. Dial tone is required to carry voice. When the Internet is down, the Ooma servers can't supply dial tone to the Ooma device in the home.
It may be that Ooma somehow could supply a dial tone to the Ooma device, from the cell phone Bluetooth connection? It might also be confusing and conficting, when the Internet was up and the dial tone came from the Ooma servers? There would have to be some kind of switching set up in the Ooma device?

Your ideas should be put in a feature request.