Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#84503 by ooam_user
Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:52 am
I think that Ooma should let Ooma user decide when to do firmware upgrade. I would like to share my experience

I have used OomaTelco over a year.

My Ooma Telco device was dead after a power outrage, which was done by PG&E without any notice. My Ooma device had only light #1 and #2 on after plugging power without any reboot sequences.

I called Ooma Technical Support, and the technical support let me know that my Ooma device was dead. I went out to buy the new Ooma device, and Ooma was very helpful to help me to transfer my current account to the new device.

It may be that Omma was doing firmware upgrade to my Ooma Telco device, and the power outrage interrupted the firmware update, so my Omma Telco was then a piece of trash.

I would hope that Ooma should have an option in its setup program to allow the user to update firmware manually, this would save Ooma's users who may experience the same problem like me.
#84508 by highq
Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:34 pm
You're not making much sense.
Even if Ooma accorded you the power to pick a time to start an update, who would grant you the ability to prevent any and all utility service interruptions until you declare that you've finished the update?
#84851 by techer
Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:06 am
This topic appears to imply that Ooma devices may receive automatic firmware updates. If this is the case, it is important to safeguard against interrupted downloads that could occur, especially if the interruption could render the unit permanently inoperable. Power failures do happen, but loss of internet service is more prevalent.

Please supply automatic firmware update facts:
1) devices affected (Ooma Hub, Ooma Scout, Ooma Telo, ...?)
2) frequency of updates, or at least number of updates over previous 12 month
3) update process steps (e.g. update file download, downloaded file verification, firmware update installation, firmware update verification, ...?) and what safeguards are in place to deter or recover from problems at each step.

If power failure is a potential cause of catastrophic failure during the firmware update installation, then knowing this and the fact that a firmware update installation is about to proceed can allow the Ooma customer the option to use a UPS for this event.

Finally, please advise whether Ooma hardware is truly subject to irreparable and "permanent damage" to the electronics due to a firmware update installation disrupted by power failure? At a minimum, I would expect that units could be restored to operation by a firmware reinstallation at an Ooma service center. Otherwise, at a worst case the units could be refurbished if flash memory or other components must be physically replaced.
#84919 by epicred
Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:13 pm
I Have the same exact issue with my Ooma Telo. My Line 1 and 2 Lights are solid blue, called support and they told me today that I have to buy a new Telo because my Telo no longer has a boot sequence. I don't understand why I have to buy a brand new Telo, shouldn't there be a way to reset this? Why should I buy a new Telo device if it can happen again. I guess I will be looking into another VoIP provider.
#84924 by thunderbird
Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:45 pm
epicred wrote:I Have the same exact issue with my Ooma Telo. My Line 1 and 2 Lights are solid blue, called support and they told me today that I have to buy a new Telo because my Telo no longer has a boot sequence. I don't understand why I have to buy a brand new Telo, shouldn't there be a way to reset this? Why should I buy a new Telo device if it can happen again. I guess I will be looking into another VoIP provider.

Something to try:
There are two places in the Ooma Telo boot sequence where the Line 1 & 2 light will be solid blue. Depending where in the boot sequence this happens, some times you can wake up the Ooma Telo by doing the following:
Connect your Ooma Telo Internet port to one of your Router LAN ports with a network cable. Connect the Ooma Telo Home port to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer; If Wi-Fi is turned on in the computer. Reboot the Router. Then reboot the Ooma Telo, allowing the Ooma Telo to boot as far as it can go. Then reboot the computer. Try to access Ooma Setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages should open. If they do, select Internet. In the Connection Type: window, click on the down arrow and select Dynamic (DHCP). Click on Update device at the bottom of the page. Reboot the Router. When the Router is done booting, reboot the Ooma Telo.
#84959 by epicred
Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:50 am
thunderbird wrote:
epicred wrote:I Have the same exact issue with my Ooma Telo. My Line 1 and 2 Lights are solid blue, called support and they told me today that I have to buy a new Telo because my Telo no longer has a boot sequence. I don't understand why I have to buy a brand new Telo, shouldn't there be a way to reset this? Why should I buy a new Telo device if it can happen again. I guess I will be looking into another VoIP provider.

Something to try:
There are two places in the Ooma Telo boot sequence where the Line 1 & 2 light will be solid blue. Depending where in the boot sequence this happens, some times you can wake up the Ooma Telo by doing the following:
Connect your Ooma Telo Internet port to one of your Router LAN ports with a network cable. Connect the Ooma Telo Home port to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer; If Wi-Fi is turned on in the computer. Reboot the Router. Then reboot the Ooma Telo, allowing the Ooma Telo to boot as far as it can go. Then reboot the computer. Try to access Ooma Setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages should open. If they do, select Internet. In the Connection Type: window, click on the down arrow and select Dynamic (DHCP). Click on Update device at the bottom of the page. Reboot the Router. When the Router is done booting, reboot the Ooma Telo.

This didn't work, I was unable to reach the host at 172.27.35.1, DHCP was not found on my computer and it was unable to obtain an IP Address. I manually configured the IP, and still can't reach the host at 172.27.35.1. One thing I notice about the Ethernet indicators lights on the internet Jack is that they shut off every 15 seconds or so as if the ethernet connection was resetting, is there another suggestion I can try?
#84961 by thunderbird
Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:12 am
epicred:
There is nothing more that I can think of except:

If your Ooma Telo is within the one year warranty period, contact Ooma Customer Support and they, after some more testing and so on, will send you shipping prepaid, a replacement Ooma Telo, with a return shipping label for you to return your defective unit.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

Some times if you purchased your Ooma Telo with a credit card, the credit card company will warrant your Ooma Telo for two years.
#107755 by Aubuchon
Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:20 pm
If someone accidentally unplugs their Telo or loses internet connection during an automatic update then they're screwed. The Telo is not repairable at that point. The best we can hope for is that the Telo is still under warranty and hope that Ooma hasn't changed their policy towards a free replacement in this circumstance. Ooma needs to make updates optional, not mandatory.