Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#84395 by gacolen
Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:53 pm
I've had ooma for about two months, it works fine except my cable connections has been dropping out (infrequently)

My connection is cable-modem-router-oomas (I have two ooma telos. One with three ooma handsets; One with one ooma handset)

When my modem drops the connection, it is fixed by simple recycling the power on the modem

I've contacted Cablevision several times, and they have dispatched outside technician (the signal is strong)

And also inside technician (replaced the splitter and cabling)

The wireless router is new (Netgear)

I've replaced the modem (was Surfboard, now is Netstar)

For example, in the past three days, it was fine all day except at 5PM EST

and also overnight - I have to recycle the modem after I wake up

How do I troubleshoot this?
#84396 by murphy
Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:18 pm
Connect to

http://192.168.100.1

which is the status page inside of your modem.
Report on the following signals.

Receive signal strength
Receive SNR (signal to noise ratio)
Send power level.

Too high of a signal is just as bad as too low of a signal.

If there is a log page it may tell you what problems the modem is encountering.
#84402 by gacolen
Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:07 am
Name
WebSTAR DPX2203
Modem Serial Number
Cable Modem MAC Address
00:16:92:91:10:02
Hardware Version
v2.1
Software Version
v2.0.2r1162-090814
Receive Power Level
-1.5 dBmV
Transmit Power Level
49.0 dBmV
Cable Modem Status
Operational
#84414 by murphy
Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:17 pm
Those signal levels are fine.
#84417 by thunderbird
Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:47 pm
gacolen:
This is going to be a trial and error process since you have had so much done already.

First sometimes MAC address Spoofing will conflict with a Modem or Router:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing in both Ooma Devices by doing the following:
If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem. When the Modem is done booting reboot your Router, when the Router is done booting, reboot your Ooma device.

Note: Reboot means remove power, then plug power back in for the device in the order listed above.

Second:
In you router, create a reservation, with a permanent lease, for each of your Ooma Devices. (Some people call it reserve a static IP address).

Third:
It is preferred to do this at times that your Internet connection is dropped.
Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Seed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________

Also click on Graph on the left side of Speedtest Phonepower and go down to the bottom left side of window and view Plot. Make sure that Download speed is selected. See if the red graph line has steady up and down strokes, not over about three quarters of the way up the graph. If there are tall up and down red graph lines that look like they could go right out of the top of the graph and they are very wide, as compared to the other red graph lines, more than likely there is a problem still with your Internet provider's signal or maybe yet your Modem. Next at Plot select Upload speed. If there are tall up and down red graph lines that look like they could go right out of the top of the graph and they are very wide, as compared to the other red graph lines, more than likely there is a problem still with your Modem or Internet provider.
#84466 by gacolen
Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:29 pm
thunderbird wrote:gacolen:

<<< I haven't had a chance to perform the MAC address change or permanent lease, but the connection just went down at 7PM after being up all day, so I quickly ran speedtest (after cycling the modem), and I've filled in the blanks below

This is going to be a trial and error process since you have had so much done already.

First sometimes MAC address Spoofing will conflict with a Modem or Router:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing in both Ooma Devices by doing the following:
If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem. When the Modem is done booting reboot your Router, when the Router is done booting, reboot your Ooma device.

Note: Reboot means remove power, then plug power back in for the device in the order listed above.

Second:
In you router, create a reservation, with a permanent lease, for each of your Ooma Devices. (Some people call it reserve a static IP address).

Third:
It is preferred to do this at times that your Internet connection is dropped.
Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________ 6034kbps
Upload Seed: ________________ 2099kbps
Download Consistency of Service ________ 72%
Upload Consistency of Service _________ 98%
Maximum TCP Delay _____________ 43ms
Jitter you server __________ 12.3ms
Jitter server you _________ 8.7ms
Packet loss: you server_______ 0
Packet loss: server you ______ 0
Packet discards _________ 0
Packets out of order _________ 0
Estimated MOS score ________ 3.9

Also click on Graph on the left side of Speedtest Phonepower and go down to the bottom left side of window and view Plot. Make sure that Download speed is selected. See if the red graph line has steady up and down strokes, not over about three quarters of the way up the graph. If there are tall up and down red graph lines that look like they could go right out of the top of the graph and they are very wide, as compared to the other red graph lines, more than likely there is a problem still with your Internet provider's signal or maybe yet your Modem.

<<< For download, they are not very wide. On the left-hand side of the graph, the red lines are tall, but only a few with max of 80-90%. On the right-hand side, the red lines are much lower, with many of the lines near 10%. Same width as the left-hand side.

Next at Plot select Upload speed. If there are tall up and down red graph lines that look like they could go right out of the top of the graph and they are very wide, as compared to the other red graph lines, more than likely there is a problem still with your Modem or Internet provider.

<<< For upload, they are all about the same width, and middle height (not very high, 20-30%)

#84468 by thunderbird
Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:59 pm
gacolen:
Your Jitter is high. Jitter should be less than 5ms for each.
Jitter you server __________ 12.3ms
Jitter server you _________ 8.7ms

Turn off MAC address Spoofing in both Oomas, then test again. MAC address Spoofing could be the problem.

If jitter is still high, when you can find some time to attempt to isolate the problem, connect your computer directly to the modem, with your router and Oomas disconnected, (reboot your modem then your computer), with nothing else connected, and test for jitter again.

If you still have jitter, the problem is with your modem or Internet provider. Since you have already replaced your modem, I'd bet it's the Internet provider. Probably still a bad connection coming in from the street, or a bad splice or splitter.

Example: One Ooma customer reported that there was a bad Internet connection about two blocks away from where he lived. Once that was fixed, his problems were over.
#84732 by gacolen
Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:34 pm
<<< I turned of MAC spoofing, and created Reservations for my two OOMA telos

<<< The problem has gotten only marginally better, and the connection dropped again right now (again) at 5PM

<<< Here are the speedtest results:

Download Speed: 11201kbps
Upload Seed: 2112kbps
Download Consistency of Service 56%
Upload Consistency of Service 99%
Maximum TCP Delay 81ms
Jitter you server 1.6ms
Jitter server you 4.0ms
Packet loss: you server0
Packet loss: server you 0
Packet discards 0
Packets out of order 0
Estimated MOS score 4.1

<<< On the graphs, for download, the red bars are consistantly narrow width, but on the far left-side they go 75-80% of the vertical space, with one bar over the top. For upload, the red bars all look narrow and mid-range.

BEFORE I COULD SUBMIT THE POST above, IT DROPPED OUT AGAIN, so I ran speedtest again, here are the results from the second speedtest:

Download Speed: 7867kbps
Upload Seed: 2106kbps
Download Consistency of Service 66%
Upload Consistency of Service 99%
Maximum TCP Delay 92ms
Jitter you server 1.1ms
Jitter server you 7.7ms
Packet loss: you server0
Packet loss: server you 0
Packet discards 0
Packets out of order 0
Estimated MOS score 4.0

<<< The graphs (download and upload) look roughly the same as the 1st test
#84738 by thunderbird
Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:40 pm
gacolen:
After looking at the Speedtest results and re-reading what you have said about the modem having to be rebooted, the problem has to be with the Internet provider or a electric power issue.

You have great speeds, but the Download Consistency of Service is always a little low. Usually it's around 80% or higher. The inbound jitter is high in most of your tests. But if you had a steady Internet signal, your Ooma would probably still work okay.

Some where there is probably an intermittent connection, probably in the Internet provider wiring coming in from the street to your home, to your Modem. Where and why do you have a splitter?

Normally a modem will restart by itself when there is a momentary Internet signal interruption?

After you reboot the Modem, does the Ooma device's reconnect on there own?

I wonder if there is electrical power issue in your home or coming into your home? Are you using some kind of standby power, or backup power?
#84749 by gacolen
Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:21 am
thunderbird wrote:gacolen:
After looking at the Speedtest results and re-reading what you have said about the modem having to be rebooted, the problem has to be with the Internet provider or a electric power issue.

You have great speeds, but the Download Consistency of Service is always a little low. Usually it's around 80% or higher. The inbound jitter is high in most of your tests. But if you had a steady Internet signal, your Ooma would probably still work okay.

Some where there is probably an intermittent connection, probably in the Internet provider wiring coming in from the street to your home, to your Modem. Where and why do you have a splitter?

<<< The splitter is used to split my Cablevision coaxial cable (after it enters the house) between my TV and my cablemodem

<<< The splitter has been replaced three times, and also the coaxial cabling from the splitter to cablemodem, so this is not the problem. The modem also has been replaced (with no improvement), so that is not the problem. The connection from cablemodem to router is new and short. The Netgear router is new, so that is not likely the problem (could it be a setting in the router?). The cablemodem-router-telo1/telo2 are all on my desktop, right next to each other.

Normally a modem will restart by itself when there is a momentary Internet signal interruption?

<<< The modem doesn't lose power, it only loses the internet signal which does not restart until I reboot the modem

After you reboot the Modem, does the Ooma device's reconnect on there own?

<<< Yes, the two telos restart on their own no problem

I wonder if there is electrical power issue in your home or coming into your home? Are you using some kind of standby power, or backup power?

<<< No, but I use power strips/surge protectors so maybe they have worn out, and I have now replaced them (I'll keep monitoring and report if the problem has gone away).

<<< Why would there be no problem all day long, and then there would be a problem? Then the problem goes away again?