Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#84331 by rkshack
Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:16 am
I had my ooma up and running well for over a month. Then the phone went dead. I still had the blue display on ooma so I figured it was a problem on my side of the system. I figured out it was the Jack. I plugged ooma into a different jack and everything was fine. Are there any references out there or does anyone have any suggestions as to how to trouble shoot the jack and find out what the problem is?

rkshack
#84337 by thunderbird
Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:07 pm
rkshack wrote:I had my ooma up and running well for over a month. Then the phone went dead. I still had the blue display on ooma so I figured it was a problem on my side of the system. I figured out it was the Jack. I plugged ooma into a different jack and everything was fine. Are there any references out there or does anyone have any suggestions as to how to trouble shoot the jack and find out what the problem is?

rkshack

For a starter, if this phone jack is a home phone wall jack, I would take the cover plate off. View the wire terminals, if possible, to see if there are loose. If the terminals are on the back of the wall jack, carefully remove the jack. Check for loose screws that secure the wires to the terminals. I would try to tighten the terminals that have wire on them, then test. If that doesn't fix it, I'd go to the next closest wall phone jack and do the same, and so on.

Note: often there is a set of wires coming to and go from the phone jack. Often there is two wires (usaully the same color) on each screw terminal that is used. Make sure one of these wires hasn't popped off the screw terminal or is broken.