Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#85519 by Charles R
Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:12 pm
Just an update for AT&T subscribers looking to switch. The port when through as promised (in 4 days including a weekend) and Ooma had my Telo working a few hours later. Some how when they completed the port my ported number (new account) was still referencing the original number I had from activating the Telo. A call into support and that was resolved within a couple of hours. Telo 100% operational until proven else wise. For what it's worth every time I have called Ooma the connection has been very bad for one reason or another and it scared me a bit since I didn't really use the line for any other calls. Once it was ported I have tried a few of my typical calls and the quality has been great... not sure what the issue is/was with Ooma (support center).

Regarding AT&T when they ported the number they didn't close the DSL account even though they cut the service so be sure to call in and have it closed. Tomorrow I'll try to schedule the DSL dry loop (I have another Internet line) which should be straight forward. All and all the process takes care of itself and the less you try to figure it out I think the easier it is. :)
#85597 by tivoboy
Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:51 am
Well, today is the day. At about 05:30 PST (where I live) the home phone and dsl went dead. Calling my home number (the one being ported) I get what APPEARS to be an at&t announcement saying "this is not a working number" Hmm, is that typical?

Unfortunately, as noted in a previous post, AT&T couldn't get my new dry loop DSL turned up till Monday (at first they said it would be Tuesday and it just takes that long, further discussion with customer service noted that it takes a DAY to flush and reset and retarget my domicile pair. THEY DON'T WORK over the weekends, which is fine, but that is what adds at least two days to the mix in this case - had they simply told me that upfront it would make a lot of sense)

I'm back up at the moment with wireless broadband piped into the home LAN (albeit a bit slower than the elite DSL) so the ooma box works, everything else too. The ooma is still ringing to my original number and calls out to my old home number of course don't hit the ooma yet.
#85602 by rostedo
Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:59 am
tivoboy wrote: they were NOT able to answer what the new DSL account activation process was, currently the modem authenticates with an email and password which I have had forever, which is my current EMAIL address, which I A) don't want to lose and B) is used for authentication. They couldn't tell me what the process to establish the new authentication on the modem will be which isn't a good sign.

They provide default PPPoE credentials that you log in with to register the new service. This takes you to a series of pages that give you the option to link to the primary email/password of your old account and generates a new network (PPPoE) password.

Suggest you record the default credentials somewhere. We converted to DSL-only (dry loop) in June and our connection suffered a soft failure last Sunday. Appears the dry loop service was unregistered when the balance on our former DSL/phone account was finally zeroed out and closed. Had to re-register with the default credentials. A bit of a pain, but no harm. The at&t tech claimed to have not seen this before, though both the sales and installation folks warned me that this sort of thing does happen. We've also received many silly out-of-synch snail mails, emails, and robo-calls about both accounts that show the at&t conversion process is still a bit "immature".
#85615 by tivoboy
Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:46 am
Well, port now complete, phone rings to home as expected. The online account stuff still doesn't reflect my new HOME number stuff, but I imagine that might take a little while to flush through. Process has to now worked out pretty well, just waiting on AT&T to turn up the new DSL again.

Overall savings at this point, more than 1000$ a year. Can't beat that with a stick.
#85621 by Charles R
Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:44 am
rostedo wrote:They provide default PPPoE credentials that you log in with to register the new service. This takes you to a series of pages that give you the option to link to the primary email/password of your old account and generates a new network (PPPoE) password.

I was told to connect directly to the router via 192.168.1.254 and use the following:

email: attreg@att.net
password: attreg

Which would take me through the registeration process. For the heck of it I reset the Gateway back to factory settings so I wouldn't have any previous settings stopping the process. Until you get two green lights on the Gateway it's nothing but waiting!
#85650 by Charles R
Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:29 am
For whatever reason my Dry Loop went active two days early (or they reconnected my old account and I'll find out Monday!). I plugged in my Gateway for the heck of it and noticed I had solid green for DSL and Internet (previously it was flashing red).

- Connected to http://192.168.1.254/
- Did a System reset
- Changed username to: attreg@att.net (it was set to some yahoo id).
- Changed password to: attreg
- Closed and reopened the browser and it walked me through registering.
- You can reuse your existing email address by clicking on use existing member ID during the process.
- Once the process assigns you a new password you update the username (member ID) and password from the ones above and save them at the Gateway's Broadband Link Advanced Settings.

At that point you should be surfing... oh run speedtest.net for the next week to see where you are at. :) I also reconfigured wireless for my wife's laptop.
#85683 by kimmo
Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:02 am
just got off the phone with AT&T rep, who was very nice. Here's what she did to cause me the least amount of headache and make it the least expensive on my part. We already had complete choice with AT&T so with that, you can add a ringmaster for a second number. So....she gave me a new main number and changed my existing number to the ringmaster number. Until my porting is done, my AT&T phone will just ring with a different ring when people call since they will be calling the number that is now a ringmaster number. This will allow me to keep everything while my number is being ported. Once the porting is done, my ooma phone will start ringing with my ported number and I will just have to call AT&T back and change the new number she gave me to a dry loop DSL line. It sounds simple enough to me. I'll let you know how it all works out. I do agree that with AT&T being the largest phone service provider, Ooma should have some clear cut instructions on how to do this or offer to help with the porting. Simply saying, "you need to call you phone service provider and have them dry loop your DSL before porting" is not enough instruction when each phone rep you get is going to have a different solution to the problem. Before I told this lady that most people had done it with a dummy account, she had told me that to dry loop while I still had phone service, would cost me a connection fee because they would have to connect another line for internet to keep my number up and running while it was being ported.
#85688 by Charles R
Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:51 am
kimmo wrote:So....she gave me a new main number and changed my existing number to the ringmaster number. Until my porting is done, my AT&T phone will just ring with a different ring when people call since they will be calling the number that is now a ringmaster number. This will allow me to keep everything while my number is being ported.

For me the downtime during porting was roughly 1-2 hours. From the time AT&T disconnected the line to when Ooma began routing the ported number to my Telo. The second line will still be disconnected by AT&T so the downtime should be the same, no?

Once the porting is done, my ooma phone will start ringing with my ported number and I will just have to call AT&T back and change the new number she gave me to a dry loop DSL line.

I'm not certain you can do this. My understanding is all Dry Loop accounts are 082… and you can't convert a landline account to a Dry Loop account. Of course I could be mistaken...

Before I told this lady that most people had done it with a dummy account, she had told me that to dry loop while I still had phone service, would cost me a connection fee because they would have to connect another line for internet to keep my number up and running while it was being ported.

I know they wouldn't charge to run the pair to your D-mark (box attached to the outside of the house). If you wanted them to configure the new pair in your electronic closet or connect it to various outlets I could see them charging.
#85690 by tivoboy
Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:58 am
All porting now completed. DSL dry loop turned up, took about 20 minutes (router config necessary for some reason) but is ACTUALLY faster now, not sure why.

My process was the following with AT&T:

1. Initiate port with OOMA, check the box "there is no dsl on this line/account" even though there was of course
2. Get port date, took about three days, and then the port date was TWO days later, so fast and unexpected. Note, OOMA did not notify me in real time of the FOC date. The email came in about 1.5 days after it showed up in my account.
3. Call AT&T, they could confirm the CANCELLATION in the account and the port date, I told them I wanted DRY LOOP DSL to be turned up at the same location.
4. AT&T sets up a NEW DRY LOOP dsl account with turn up 1 day after cancellation date. I PROBABLY could have had it for the same day of the cancellation and port date if the port date wasn't a thrusday/friday and if I had called in ONE day earlier.
5. PORT happened on the correct day and was active by about 08:00 local time.
6. AT&T showed up two days later on the correct date (I actually got an SMS a day prior confirming) and within about 30 minutes (what with NIC confirmation and one trip to the RT for the tech) the proper pair (same pair probably) was active and inside my modem was showing sync.
7. RESET MODEM completely, put in ATTREG
8. Had to RE-REG with AT&T, but there is a small blue sentance up at the top of the "complete NEW registration" page that says "I already HAVE an AT&T member ID"
9. Populate old ID and NEW password (I don't see a place to setup old or select DSL network password on the registration page) and restart
10. Enjoy even BETTER speeds

addendum:
A. I had some issue with modem/router configuration and not sure yet why. My router was in the 192.168.1.1 space, and the modem is in the 192.168.0.1 space. historically the modem was configured to do PPPoE on the ROUTER, so there username and password were NOT on the modem, but rather on the router. while I tried to set up the router again with this same configuration after registering the new (old) network login ID and new password, I could NOT get the modem to give it a network DHCP ID address. Not sure why, so I set it back to PPPoE on the modem for now and still have the router and everything setup as usual, just that the router isn't doing the authenticating. The router is still 192.168.1.1, with the LAN DHCP range being setup the same - since I have about 40 devices in the LAN with customer QOS and such, I did NOT want to change the IP range.

I'm not sure if this is a bad thing in any way, or if this was maybe why AT&T wasn't able to view network usage, or what. I'll test everything for a few weeks and maybe try to set it up again as it was before.

thanks all for all the tips, worked out just near perfect and will save me about 800$ in year 1
#85701 by Charles R
Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:42 pm
tivoboy wrote:All porting now completed. DSL dry loop turned up, took about 20 minutes (router config necessary for some reason) but is ACTUALLY faster now, not sure why.

Looks like they placed you on a less busy circuit. Be sure to test the speed during prime time hours as that's often when it will slow down.