Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#85041 by shastastan
Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:55 am
Many thanks for taking time for your post, Moonbro. It's a done deal. We've sent out our number change notifications. Thanks for the part about my account number. Att has not responded to my email yet. I'm giving them a few days. They did assign a control number to my email inquiry so I hope to hear from them. If not, I'm going to see if I can get Verizon. If that works, then I'll just cancel all at At&t. We do have cell phones--actually prepaid ones. My wife has Att and I have Verizon. This does give us better coverage since we live in a mountain area. I paid $20 more for Ooma since I bought directly from them, but that's no big deal. Again thanks for your kind reply.

Stan
#85149 by tivoboy
Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:53 am
I can't believe that there is still so much uncertainly around this issue.

some people say, ooma says, DON'T CANCEL OR DO ANYTHING with your phone number with carrier until you port, but don't do ANYTHING if you have internet service on the account (carrier number)

Other users report, Just port it, call the carrier, setup dry loop or whatever and it will all work out.

Some people say, call the carrier AT&T as an example, have them create a dummy account to hold your number, setup dry look on your current account, get ooma to port the number, etc., But, YMMV big time.

This has been going on several years now and yet there isn't a predictable best practice for getting it done?

Does there seem to be any consensus on best way to
A: port number
B: keep dsl service
C: limit downtime?
#85236 by shastastan
Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:14 pm
I didn't port and so far so good. We just didn't want our internet down for more than a few hours and certainly not days or weeks.. Att called me and I was able to cancel our basic landline service. In the process, I discovered that they recently had upgraded the internet service in our area to a faster speed. I was able to upgrade and now pay $24.95/mo. and we had been paying $35/mo for a slower speed. We had no down internet down time that I know of. To top things off, the customer service rep at ATT could not have been nicer. I never mentioned Ooma once and told her that our primary phone is our Att prepaid cell phone since we have 5 bars reception at our house which is true. We also have a Verizon prepaid cell phone since sometimes their coverage is better in this mountain area where we live. It's a little bit of a hassle getting our number change notifications made but certainly not as bad as some others have had porting their numbers. Yes, some have had no problems, but I'm one of those people who try not to gamble since I always lose when I do :D
#85244 by Charles R
Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:39 pm
tivoboy wrote:This has been going on several years now and yet there isn't a predictable best practice for getting it done?

Does there seem to be any consensus on best way to
A: port number
B: keep dsl service
C: limit downtime?

I have been trying to get my ducks in a row for porting my number as I have phone and DSL with AT&T.

- Check if your number can be ported (you can check on ooma's site) http://www3.ooma.com/phone_numbers.php

- Check if dry loops are available at your address (you can check at AT&T's site) http://www.att.com/dsl/shop/plansDirect ... nkId=t2060

- Request your port

- When you receive the email stating the porting date call AT&T

- They will now have the required info and will create your dry loop work order (assign a new account number)
-- You should be off line for only a short period of time
-- The dry loop rates are typically higher than the combined rate (phone/DSL)

Now all of this is theory only as I'm just beginning to go through the process. I spent a lot of time talking to AT&T and your best bet is to contact the disconnect department. I have two months left on my original 12-month agreement and since I'm moving to the dry loop account they stated I shouldn't be charged an early termination fee.

Hopefully everything goes as planned!
#85258 by moogbro
Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:19 am
shastastan wrote:I didn't port and so far so good. We just didn't want our internet down for more than a few hours and certainly not days or weeks.. Att called me and I was able to cancel our basic landline service. In the process, I discovered that they recently had upgraded the internet service in our area to a faster speed. I was able to upgrade and now pay $24.95/mo. and we had been paying $35/mo for a slower speed. We had no down internet down time that I know of. To top things off, the customer service rep at ATT could not have been nicer. I never mentioned Ooma once and told her that our primary phone is our Att prepaid cell phone since we have 5 bars reception at our house which is true. We also have a Verizon prepaid cell phone since sometimes their coverage is better in this mountain area where we live. It's a little bit of a hassle getting our number change notifications made but certainly not as bad as some others have had porting their numbers. Yes, some have had no problems, but I'm one of those people who try not to gamble since I always lose when I do :D

Shastafan, that's great. So you got the same deal I thought was only available to new customers (24.95/mo) up to 6mbps (I assume for the 12 months) without having to use a new name on the account, just getting them to switch the old account to a new dryloop. Were you able to keep your old AT&T userid and login info?
#85265 by Charles R
Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:53 am
moogbro wrote:Shastafan, that's great. So you got the same deal I thought was only available to new customers (24.95/mo) up to 6mbps (I assume for the 12 months) without having to use a new name on the account, just getting them to switch the old account to a new dryloop. Were you able to keep your old AT&T userid and login info?

My understand after talking with AT&T is you don't have to be a new customer to take advantage of the promo pricing. It's the fact you agree to the terms (12 months of service) that trippers your eligibility. Since the dry loop comes with a different account number you'll have a new account.
#85269 by tivoboy
Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:57 pm
I'm going to give it a try.

Help me confirm this is a good process

A: start the port with ooma, but confirm there is NO DSL at this account when signing up
B: wait for ooma to give port date
C: contact AT&T and say, I want to switch to naked DSL on THAT DATE
d: hopefully, I can keep the account since I USE the sbcglobal.net account that is provided by AT&T at this point
E: wait for transfer date, set ooma to forward to cell just in case
F: have backup plan for when dsl goes down, like wireless broadband card, etc.

Save 45-50$ a month. :-)
#85270 by Charles R
Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:41 pm
tivoboy wrote:d: hopefully, I can keep the account since I USE the sbcglobal.net account that is provided by AT&T at this point

During one of my (many) chats with AT&T one of the DSL support guys stated I could keep my existing email address. However it's att.com based. He started rolling off the steps but since I wasn't there yet I didn't dig deeper into the subject.

Regarding the entire porting process I think a FAQ or sticky post should be created on the site/forum. Preferably for each major carrier. I know I have spent way too much time attempting to track down the details. Including x number of calls to AT&T with a variety of unhelpful responses.

I know in my case I went with ooma since I could port my number. However, since it's been next to impossible to ensure I wasn't in the dark as to what would happen I'm sure a lot of people simply punt. Either give up switching providers or going to another provider which doesn't offer porting (since it's so difficult to understand the steps involved).

Although I'm guessing most people give it next to zero thought ahead of time and then muddle their way through once their knee deep. :)
#85274 by shastastan
Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:43 pm
Charles R wrote:
moogbro wrote:Shastafan, that's great. So you got the same deal I thought was only available to new customers (24.95/mo) up to 6mbps (I assume for the 12 months) without having to use a new name on the account, just getting them to switch the old account to a new dryloop. Were you able to keep your old AT&T userid and login info?

My understand after talking with AT&T is you don't have to be a new customer to take advantage of the promo pricing. It's the fact you agree to the terms (12 months of service) that trippers your eligibility. Since the dry loop comes with a different account number you'll have a new account.

Yes, that is correct. We do have a new account number.
#85275 by shastastan
Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:52 pm
Charles R wrote:
tivoboy wrote:d: hopefully, I can keep the account since I USE the sbcglobal.net account that is provided by AT&T at this point

snip......
Although I'm guessing most people give it next to zero thought ahead of time and then muddle their way through once their knee deep. :)

I had no idea that porting could pose potential problems. Fortunately, I didn't have to do much "muddling." Some might say that the only problems are possibly with ATT. However, it seems that AT&T is by far the nation's biggest home phone service provider. Would it be worth Ooma's time to have a specialized customer service "section" to deal with this issue? I'm not sure if their sales would be improved by offering porting help or not.