Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#82338 by JAMIROBri
Fri May 27, 2011 4:10 am
Hey all. I've had Ooma for about 2 years now and haven't had any major issues until now. Yesterday I noticed my cordless Panasonic phones said "check tel line" and I'm not getting a dial tone. I reset the modem and router and Ooma began to work again for a little bit, but now the phones are giving me the same error message. The light is blue on the Ooma base. Any ideas? Thanks!

Brian
#82340 by thunderbird
Fri May 27, 2011 5:48 am
JAMIROBri wrote:Hey all. I've had Ooma for about 2 years now and haven't had any major issues until now. Yesterday I noticed my cordless Panasonic phones said "check tel line" and I'm not getting a dial tone. I reset the modem and router and Ooma began to work again for a little bit, but now the phones are giving me the same error message. The light is blue on the Ooma base. Any ideas? Thanks!

Brian

To start with:
I'd reset the modem, router and Ooma device again and test. Some times to get a good Internet connection in your modem, you have to reboot the modem many times.

You could run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing, and post the following here:
Download Speed: ________________
Upload Seed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________
#82564 by JAMIROBri
Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:19 am
I have been resetting the modem, Ooma unit and router every day for the past week or so. It seems to fix the problem for anywhere from an hour or longer, then the next morning it is not working again. Any other suggestions?

Brian
#82566 by JAMIROBri
Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:31 am
By the way, I ran the speed test too and these are the results:

Download Speed: 11272 kbps
Upload Seed: 961 kpbs
Download Consistency of Service 90%
Upload Consistency of Service 99%
Maximum TCP Delay 31 ms
Jitter you server 0.2 ms
Jitter server you 0.3 ms
Packet loss: you server 0.0%
Packet loss: server you 0.0%
Packet discards 0.0%
Packets out of order 0.0%
Estimated MOS score 4.2
#82577 by thunderbird
Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:53 am
JAMIROBri wrote:I have been resetting the modem, Ooma unit and router every day for the past week or so. It seems to fix the problem for anywhere from an hour or longer, then the next morning it is not working again. Any other suggestions?

Brian

Your speed test results are very good.

To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem, when the Modem is done booting reboot your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem, when the Modem is done booting reboot your Router, when the Router is done booting, reboot your Ooma device.

Note: Reboot means remove power, then plug power back in for the device in the order listed above.

Then Test.

The next thing to try if still having problems:
For testing, If your Ooma connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, move the Ooma device to be connected to the Modem. Reboot everything and then test.
#82707 by JAMIROBri
Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:57 am
I tried your suggestions, and they work for about a day or so, then it goes back to "check tel line" on my phone system. It seems like I need to either reset the modem or change the Ooma preferences every day for it to work.
#82708 by thunderbird
Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:26 am
JAMIROBri wrote:I tried your suggestions, and they work for about a day or so, then it goes back to "check tel line" on my phone system. It seems like I need to either reset the modem or change the Ooma preferences every day for it to work.

First:
The next time you have this problem, go into Ooma Setup and click on Status on the left side of the page.
Under Network go down to OOMA Tunnel: and see it says "Connected". If it doesn't say connected, un-power your Ooma device for more than 15 minutes (has to be more than 15 minutes). Then repower the Ooma device and see what happens.
If the problem re-occurs, and the OOMA Tunnel: doesn't show connected, you will have to call Ooma Customer Service to make corrections at their end.

Second:
Temporarily try testing using only one phone, a phone that you aren't using now, to the Ooma device's Phone port. Disconnect all other phones from the Ooma device and test.