Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#81762 by cskeptic
Fri May 20, 2011 10:28 am
Yes, I realize this may seem a bit paranoid, but I'm wondering if Ooma generates nuisance calls to sell their Premier service. Perhaps not, but how would we know?
#81764 by EA PA
Fri May 20, 2011 10:39 am
Dunno, but its got lots of possibilities;

Ooma Avon calling, or
Ooma do you want another credit card? Or
Ooma Geico can save you 15% or more on car insurance, or
Ooma Flo calling, pick your payment, or
Ooma please vote for Smith for township solicitor, or
Ooma do you have 5 minutes to take a survey? Or
Ooma you have won a 3 night stay, or a 42” widescreen, press 1 for details

Etc.

Edit; Ooma have you driven a Ford lately? LOL -
#81766 by southsound
Fri May 20, 2011 10:51 am
I have long suspected that they do. It goes along with my theory that during the 50's and 60's when you had to rent your phones from ATT that they had co-opted with toilet manufacturers to include a sensor that would tell the central office that you were busy so they could make you think your home was "under-phoned" and that you needed to rent more phones. It worked because I now have 20 handsets - and one of them is permanently located in my bathroom.

I hate nuisance calls and in an attempt to avoid them I have made it a priority to keep my very existence private. Note how I prevent eavesdropping in my living quarters:

You are taking your meds, right? :P
#81770 by EA PA
Fri May 20, 2011 11:33 am
Is the bathroom (with handset) RF proof as well? Nice conspiracy theory!
#81774 by southsound
Fri May 20, 2011 12:58 pm
EA PA wrote:Is the bathroom (with handset) RF proof as well?

Now I am really paranoid! How did you know??

And before someone else comments, yes, it is explosion proof. After all, it IS a bathroom! :shock:
#81775 by cskeptic
Fri May 20, 2011 1:24 pm
EA PA wrote:Dunno, but its got lots of possibilities;

Ooma Avon calling, or
Ooma do you want another credit card? Or
Ooma Geico can save you 15% or more on car insurance, or
Ooma Flo calling, pick your payment, or
Ooma please vote for Smith for township solicitor, or
Ooma do you have 5 minutes to take a survey? Or
Ooma you have won a 3 night stay, or a 42” widescreen, press 1 for details

Etc.

Edit; Ooma have you driven a Ford lately? LOL -

Very funny, guys. However, you missed one, EA--the hangup with no message. We get two or three of those a day. The Do Not Call list doesn't seem to keep us from getting those, nor the political or nonprofit calls, either.

Is there anyone out there who can offer a mature and rational answer? Anyone from Ooma support care to give it a try?
#81777 by lbmofo
Fri May 20, 2011 1:48 pm
Do not call list doesn't stop the political, charity orgs from calling you. Also the folks that already have a business relationship with you can call you as well. All phones experience this. I can guarantee you that Ooma doesn't pump your number to others so they can call you just so that you'd sign up to Premier.
#81779 by nn5i
Fri May 20, 2011 1:49 pm
Interesting -- my telephone monitoring system rejects essentially all nuisance calls by preventing the phones from ringing for them. It logs them, though, just as it logs all calls. But since I installed Ooma it has had little or nothing to do. I have not, in the last year, been subject to any attempted nuisance calls. Not one. None. With Qwest, before Ooma, I got as many as ten per day, though the phones didn't ring and I learned of the attempt only later.
#81780 by southsound
Fri May 20, 2011 1:54 pm
cskeptic wrote:Is there anyone out there who can offer a mature and rational answer? Anyone from Ooma support care to give it a try?

Sorry for the attempt at levity. First off, I don't speak for ooma either as an employee or a paid contributor. The forum is basically a user forum. You will find an occasional moderator post, but mostly it is customers helping other customers. As to your original question, if ooma was doing this I can guarantee they would not make support people aware of it - nor would they admit the tactic to the public. I've been using ooma for over two years now and can attest that they would never stoop to such a profane business tactic. They have consistently done the right thing for their customers and I believe they will continue to do so.

What you might want to do is keep a log of the disconnected calls - maybe check your log and see if they are registering. Then, after you have a number of them, contact support and have them investigate. With date and time, they can check their logs and see if it might be a carrier problem.

Welcome to ooma and sorry if I offended you.