Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#80203 by jj22
Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:17 pm
I have cable internet going into the modum, the modum going to the Ooma Telco, the Ooma Telco going to the Internet port of the Cisco Valet router. My printer is connected to one of the Ethernet ports of the router, and a Mac desktop computer is connected to another Ethernet port of the router. Everything works fine except the printer.

Before I connected the Ooma, the modum was connected to the Internet port of the router. Cisco said the router is configured and working properly and they don't have expertise with the other components of my system so they cannot help. However, the technician did say it sounded like the printer just needed to have the IP address reset, but they couldn't help with that.

Any help would be appreciated.
#80214 by murphy
Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:43 am
Did the printer's IP address change?
A printer should either have a static IP address or a DHCP reservation in the router based on the printer's MAC address.
When you install a printer in Windows the IP address is part of the installation of the port. If the printer gets a different IP address, you will no longer be able to print.

If the printer's IP address has changed you will have to uninstall and then reinstall the printer.
#80216 by thunderbird
Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:49 am
jj22:
After verifing that you don't have an incorrect cable connected from your printer's network port to the Router LAN ports, switch the pinters network cable to a different LAN port on the router.

Than remove power from the modem, Ooma device, router, printer, and computer.

Repower the modem, than when the modem is done booting, repower the Ooma device. When the Ooma device is done booting, repower the Router. When the Router is done booting up, repower the printer and the computer.

Test printer.

If the pinter still won't print on the network, go into the router and see if you can see an IP address issued for the printer.

You could also click on your computer start menu, click on Settings, right click on the printer and click on properties.
Than click on ports, than configure port.
In the window that opens, in the Printer Name or IP Address box, you should see an IP address.
This address should be the same as the IP address issued to the printer from the router.
If not change the IP address to the IP address number issued to the printer by the router.
Be sure to reserve a static IP address (the same IP address that has been issued by the router to the printer) for the printer in the router, so this doesn't happen again.

If still having problems, usually there is a reset near where the printer network cable is connected, or in the printer's menu. It will call out something like network reset.

If you give the brand and model number of the printer I can try to look it up.
#80225 by nn5i
Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:12 am
murphy wrote:Did the printer's IP address change?
A printer should either have a static IP address or a DHCP reservation in the router based on the printer's MAC address.
When you install a printer in Windows the IP address is part of the installation of the port. If the printer gets a different IP address, you will no longer be able to print.

If the printer's IP address has changed you will have to uninstall and then reinstall the printer.

Many printers (including every one of mine) are unable to use DHCP. I'd bet a lot that the printer is still in the 192.168.x.x range while the rest of the network is now in the 172.27.x.x range assigned by Ooma. Different subnets, no communication. Try changing the printer to 172.27.35.250 and see what happens. Probably you'll have to change it in the printer itself and in the drivers in all PCs or MACs that use it.
#80241 by thunderbird
Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:25 am
jj22 wrote:I have cable internet going into the modum, the modum going to the Ooma Telco, the Ooma Telco going to the Internet port of the Cisco Valet router. My printer is connected to one of the Ethernet ports of the router, and a Mac desktop computer is connected to another Ethernet port of the router. Everything works fine except the printer.

Because the printer and the Mac desktop computer are both connected to the LAN side of the Cisco Valet Router, the Cisco Valet Router LAN IP range for both will still be in the 192.168.xxx.xxx range.

Only the Internet (WAN) side of the Cisco Valet Router will see the Ooma Home port DHCP issued 172.27.35.xxx IP number.
#80559 by jj22
Sun May 01, 2011 1:47 pm
I appreciate the help, but none of this worked. I tried reinstalling the printer, but that didn't work either. However, I'm not sure I reinstalled the printer correctly since the process includes a fair amount of options to select in the setup process.

I have a Dell 1320 printer wired into a Cisco Valet Plus router, with an Apple desktop. Before I installed the Ooma everything worked fine; Dell printer, Apple desktop, Cisco router, and a nice home wireless system that my tv and everything else is hooked to. No problems. I installed the Ooma just as the book instructs - everything works just fine except the printer. Ooma won't help, Cisco won't help, Dell won't help - they all say it's the fault of one of the other devices.

Ooma had me change my setup so that instead of the Ooma device being between the modum and router, now it's connected to the router. Cisco changed my IP address on my router, and a bunch of other settings, everything still works...except the printer. I really think I just need to reinstall it, but the process isn't intuitive, and none of these companies will help. The best I got was a referal to a 3rd-party tech support company that charges $70.

This is REALLY frustrating.
#80560 by lbmofo
Sun May 01, 2011 1:57 pm
What you can do is to take Ooma out of the picture first. Get printer connected to the router, get it working. Your printer company should be able to help installing with a vanilla setup like that. Then connect your Ooma to another free port of the router; everything should still work then.
#80562 by nn5i
Sun May 01, 2011 2:12 pm
lbmofo wrote:What you can do is to take Ooma out of the picture first. Get printer connected to the router, get it working. Your printer company should be able to help installing with a vanilla setup like that. Then connect your Ooma to another free port of the router; everything should still work then.

Very sensible; that's what I would recommend too.