Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#79286 by anoplate
Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:17 pm
I am using fax machine pretty well. I am thinking to use the fax modem by utillizing the fax function in Window XP. As you know, Window XP has fax function inside. Does anybody have any experience in this?
#79747 by anoplate
Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:19 pm
I guess nobody has any experience on this topic. I tried bymyself and found that the Fax Program in WIN XP did not answer the the call and I could not receive the fax to computer. I travel a lot and I want to read the fax from any place through internet.
#79748 by lbmofo
Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:03 pm
I've never tried this but I can offer some pointers.

If you tried this using regular landline or other VoIP services and it worked, then it should work similarly with Ooma.

If you have a Telo, you need to go into my.ooma.com and turn on fax mode in order to receive a fax with max success rate. Not sure why the modem is not picking up.

When you send, you need to use dialing prefix *99 for max success rate.

Check this out: http://ooma.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/135

FYI, I use K7.net for free incoming faxes to my email inbox. Drawbacks: need to keep number active at least every 30 days; I call myself, leave a msg every month. Only 206 area code numbers available.
#79777 by anoplate
Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:14 pm
I set up with dedicated fax line with fax mode turned on. It seems that the computer does not pick up the signal from OOMA line.
#79778 by lbmofo
Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:21 pm
You have ooma's phone port connected to the modem line in and your phone connected to the modem line out?
#79787 by anoplate
Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:35 pm
I did not connect any phone with the fax. It is dedicated to fax only.
#79789 by lbmofo
Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:43 pm
Can you call out using the modem?
#80521 by anoplate
Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:39 am
I tried to send the fax out with modem omly and failed. The other party got the signal but their fax did not recognize my signal and did not pick up the signal.

Stephen
#80535 by thunderbird
Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:36 pm
Following is a site that may help with VoIP faxing. It contains general instructions for fax setup, and setup instructions for various brand name fax machines.

http://www.voipmechanic.com/faxingissue ... evices.htm

One suggestion that sounds promising is as follows:

Try placing a DSL filter in "reverse position" between the ATA (Ooma Device) and the fax machine (to cut down on "noise").

Faxing using Ooma phone service is just hit and miss until Ooma impliments faxing modes, "Store and Forward FoIP (T.37) fax standard", or "Real Time FoIP (T.38) fax standard".

Also view topic:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11405