Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#78729 by kdlh2
Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:00 pm
I haven't been using my Ooma that much, mainly as a backup to my cell phone. The other day I did use it for a total of 33 minutes. I was looking at my router log and noticed a huge spike in outgoing bandwidth. On a typical day my outgoing bandwidth is around 75 MB. On the day I used my Ooma for 33 minutes it was 4.5 GB! My incoming stayed about the same at 400 MB. Is this because of Ooma? If so, why does it send so much but receive so little? I don't know of any other explanation as I'm not running any file-sharing programs, WiFi is secured, and usage has been back to normal these past few days that I haven't been using it.
#78731 by southsound
Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:18 pm
The ooma device should not be using anywhere near that amount of bandwidth. Is there a possibility that one of the computers on your network has a virus that could be causing it to send large amounts of data or emails through a rogue bot?
#78740 by kdlh2
Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:04 am
Ok, I looked at the ports section and it's showing 13.6 MiB received and 1.3 MiB transmitted so it's not the Ooma. It was just that one day where I had a big spike in usage which happened to coincide with me using the phone so it was my first suspect. I have antivirus software on all my computers but I'll go through and check them with other software. Interesting that it was just that one day. Thanks for your help!