Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#78160 by EA PA
Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:16 pm
lbmofo wrote:
EA PA wrote:
lbmofo wrote:Yes, I have noticed the xmission too even without any handsets paired. If Telo is too close to an active speaker, speaker would buzz much like when a cell phone is near.


If you pull plug on OOMA, the speaker stops humming? What kind of speaker? you talking one of the computer desktop speakers? How close do you have to get?

Yeah, it is one of them Altec Lansing computer speakers. If I bring the Telo right next to it, it will make buzzing sounds but more than 1/2 foot away seems to be fine. Of course with a cell phone, don't have to have the cell phone too near (many feet away) to make loud buzzing sounds everytime cell phone polls tower.


I rummaged through my stuff and found a set of powered Altecs for the computer. I hooked up an IPOD and played some Santana. I held the speaker on the top and sides of Telo. I could hear no buzzing. I turned vols all the way down. With speaker on top of Telo and ear pressed to speaker, I could faintly hear a buzz cycling at about 1 to 2 Hz at maybe a 50% duty cycle. As I pulled away at about 6 inches the faint buzz is gone. Worse yet, I could not hear Carlos. This is what you guys are talking about? Man you guys are tough...
#78165 by southsound
Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:33 pm
Sometimes it is important to be able to disable the RF footprint of a device. I just bought a 2011 Prius to replace our Honda Civic Hybrid. I love the new car except for two things:

- Although they sell a 3rd party trailer hitch for the car in the dealer's parts department, they tell me that it will most likely negate my warranty coverage if I actually install one on my car.

- The car comes stock with SKS (Smart Key System) that allows you to walk up to the car with the key fob in your pocket and just open the door. It senses the fob and unlocks the door at your touch. If you leave the key fob in the car, it is impossible to lock the doors and keep them locked. Touching the little grooves on the door handle will lock the car if you have the fob in range - but it will unlock after 3 seconds if the fob is still in range. We love to take our inflatable kayaks out in our many lakes so this presents a problem. The remote fob costs over $200 each and is not waterproof. With my Civic Hybrid, I could just leave the fob in the car and use the valet key. With the Prius, if the car senses the fob, it will not stay locked. I guess I will have to remove the little laser-cut metal key (a bargain at only $100) and put the fob in an Altoids can to prevent radiation from keeping the doors unlocked.

I wonder if you can buy a super-sized Altoids can that will hold a Telo?? :P
#78169 by EA PA
Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:51 pm
southsound wrote:Sometimes it is important to be able to disable the RF footprint of a device. I just bought a 2011 Prius to replace our Honda Civic Hybrid. I love the new car except for two things:

- Although they sell a 3rd party trailer hitch for the car in the dealer's parts department, they tell me that it will most likely negate my warranty coverage if I actually install one on my car.

- The car comes stock with SKS (Smart Key System) that allows you to walk up to the car with the key fob in your pocket and just open the door. It senses the fob and unlocks the door at your touch. If you leave the key fob in the car, it is impossible to lock the doors and keep them locked. Touching the little grooves on the door handle will lock the car if you have the fob in range - but it will unlock after 3 seconds if the fob is still in range. We love to take our inflatable kayaks out in our many lakes so this presents a problem. The remote fob costs over $200 each and is not waterproof. With my Civic Hybrid, I could just leave the fob in the car and use the valet key. With the Prius, if the car senses the fob, it will not stay locked. I guess I will have to remove the little laser-cut metal key (a bargain at only $100) and put the fob in an Altoids can to prevent radiation from keeping the doors unlocked.

I wonder if you can buy a super-sized Altoids can that will hold a Telo?? :P


Doubt it - a sheet of 1 mil foil will do, Reynolds. For my "interference" issue, Ill pick moving stuff 6 inches away so as not to become a target for OOMA.

Reading your response, I am convinced that we have hit the over-the-top technology wall, talking about SKS and FOBS and such at only 200 bucks ea (and they cant figure out how to waterproof it like my old 6$ Casio watch ) so we don't have to reach into our pockets. In my house its called a "key". I can get a copy for $1.59 at Home Depot. :P
#78173 by southsound
Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:11 pm
EA PA wrote:Reading your response, I am convinced that we have hit the over-the-top technology wall, talking about SKS and FOBS and such at only 200 bucks ea (and they cant figure out how to waterproof it like my old 6$ Casio watch ) so we don't have to reach into our pockets. In my house its called a "key". I can get a copy for $1.59 at Home Depot. :P

I totally agree. I actually thought it would be nice to find a way to install a regular ignition key and just leave the fob in our safe. At least they didn't try to make me get an RF implant so the car would know me. :shock:

(For those who have read the end of the Book, I'll grow our own food and walk before I get that technology.)
#78179 by EA PA
Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:48 pm
danlisman wrote:If you would like to carry your fob while kayaking, I would be glad to sell you a zip lock food baggy for a nickel.
Just send me a self addressed stamped envelope. :D


Yea perfect - and for an SKS FOB worth 200 bucks, I'd invest in a lo-jack to stick in the baggy in case it drifts away.

Honestly though, they got me also with a simple key. I bought my bride a new car (with a key). For key control and backups, I went to make a copy and the Home Depot told me that it was a "special key" and if I want another key, Id have to go to the dealer. I looked at it, "looks like a key to me, has cut marks in it for lock tumblers - hmm - you sure"? "yep, its got a signature chip in it"

whatever... I would not be able to handle the 50 bucks invoice for the stinkin key without going postal :x
Last edited by EA PA on Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#78197 by lbmofo
Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:27 pm
EA PA wrote:As I pulled away at about 6 inches the faint buzz is gone. Worse yet, I could not hear Carlos. This is what you guys are talking about? Man you guys are tough...

Yeah, not loud at all. :P However, any kind of noise that shouldn't be there drives me nuts. I hate power plugs that make high pitched ringing/hissing sound. It is amazing how some companies can't/won't just send you another power plug. I had to return a wireless printer server (a long time ago) and a DECT 6 system because of this. Yeah, I am more than tough, I am anl retentive. :D
#78201 by EA PA
Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:52 pm
lbmofo wrote:
EA PA wrote:Doubt it - a sheet of 1 mil foil will do, Reynolds. For my "interference" issue, Ill pick moving stuff 6 inches away so as not to become a target for OOMA.

Hey EA PA, have you seen SouthSound's Safe Room?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9547&start=30#p66809


Pissing myself.... this is F*ing hysterical . We are so screwed up.... :D

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 10 guests