Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#78010 by P&K
Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:33 pm
Have a ADT alarm system and it needs a phone line to call home base. I have it connected to my Ooma home line but its not sending out a signal from Oomas hub. called ADT and they said it is a problem with Oomas hub. any Ideas?
#78022 by murphy
Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:37 pm
P&K wrote:Have a ADT alarm system and it needs a phone line to call home base. I have it connected to my Ooma home line but its not sending out a signal from Oomas hub. called ADT and they said it is a problem with Oomas hub. any Ideas?

Did you connect the Ooma Phone jack to the input side of the alarm system and no where else?
You can't just connect the Ooma phone port to the nearest wall jack when an alarm system is involved.
You also need to program the alarm system to prefix dial *99 pause before the phone number.
#78061 by EA PA
Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:36 am
P&K wrote:Have a ADT alarm system and it needs a phone line to call home base. I have it connected to my Ooma home line but its not sending out a signal from Oomas hub. called ADT and they said it is a problem with Oomas hub. any Ideas?

I saw a solution for alarm systems operating independent of OOMA yesterday when all wired connections to the home are disconnected. This may be common knowledge out there, but I thought I would offer it up as I had not seen this before. A similar solution was discussed in a recent post about pacemaker monitoring.

In some systems, you can get a wireless adapter connected to your alarm system. It is a cell phone that will call, in the event of alarm activation. Of course, there is the unfortunate reality of the dreaded (GASP :o ) monthly charge. I could not confirm the total cost. The monthly cost would obviously offset some OOMA savings. That said, it may be a consideration for you should it be concluded that OOMA is incompatible with your alarm system.

EDIT: More info on ADT solution
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9637&p=73224&hilit=wireless+alarm#p73224
#78146 by P&K
Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:58 am
yes for an extra 30 bucks a month they will do the wireless on top of what Im paying 50. So as you can see Im trying to do this without having everybody in my pocketbook.
EA PA wrote:

I saw a solution for alarm systems operating independent of OOMA yesterday when all wired connections to the home are disconnected. This may be common knowledge out there, but I thought I would offer it up as I had not seen this before. A similar solution was discussed in a recent post about pacemaker monitoring.

In some systems, you can get a wireless adapter connected to your alarm system. It is a cell phone that will call, in the event of alarm activation. Of course, there is the unfortunate reality of the dreaded (GASP :o ) monthly charge. I could not confirm the total cost. The monthly cost would obviously offset some OOMA savings. That said, it may be a consideration for you should it be concluded that OOMA is incompatible with your alarm system.

EDIT: More info on ADT solution
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9637&p=73224&hilit=wireless+alarm#p73224
#78147 by southsound
Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:19 pm
I haven't seen your reply to murphy's questions. It is important that you verify how you have connected your hub to your alarm system. Alarm systems need to control the phones in your home using "line seizure". An RJ31X jack provides this feature:
    RJ-31X: Provides a series connection to the tip and ring conductors of a telephone line. It is wired ahead of all station equipment electrically and is typically used with registered alarm-reporting devices. When there’s an alarm condition, the registered device functions to cut off all station equipment wired behind it, via this jack.
Your ooma device needs to feed the RJ31X on the input (CO) side. If you have just connected your ooma to a wall jack in your home, when the alarm tries to report it disconnects that line from the alarm panel - hence, the report fails.

If you can easily get to the jack, then you can run a wire directly to the jack from the ooma device. If not, you can go to your Network Interface Box (typically outside the house), disconnect the utility by unplugging the little modular cord, and feeding your ooma dialtone to the wires that feed the RJ31X from that point. Adding the *99 dialing prefix will cause the ooma to make the call using FAX mode which carries data better than the codec used for normal voice mode.
#78185 by P&K
Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:20 pm
I think my problem stems deeper with ADT due to their incompetence to help me out. I have a ADT Safewatch quickconnect plus alarm panel, I talked to ADT and they can’t tell me how to make it dial *99 and the manual I have has no mention of this ether. I think ADT doesn’t want the customers to know how to tap into their data line or make changes to it and if you could. all you have to do is hire a different alarm company to monitor your alarm. And the answer to your question I did hook up the phone jack directly to the ooma device hub with no other line to it.

southsound wrote:I haven't seen your reply to murphy's questions. It is important that you verify how you have connected your hub to your alarm system. Alarm systems need to control the phones in your home using "line seizure". An RJ31X jack provides this feature:
    RJ-31X: Provides a series connection to the tip and ring conductors of a telephone line. It is wired ahead of all station equipment electrically and is typically used with registered alarm-reporting devices. When there’s an alarm condition, the registered device functions to cut off all station equipment wired behind it, via this jack.
Your ooma device needs to feed the RJ31X on the input (CO) side. If you have just connected your ooma to a wall jack in your home, when the alarm tries to report it disconnects that line from the alarm panel - hence, the report fails.

If you can easily get to the jack, then you can run a wire directly to the jack from the ooma device. If not, you can go to your Network Interface Box (typically outside the house), disconnect the utility by unplugging the little modular cord, and feeding your ooma dialtone to the wires that feed the RJ31X from that point. Adding the *99 dialing prefix will cause the ooma to make the call using FAX mode which carries data better than the codec used for normal voice mode.
#78193 by southsound
Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:04 pm
P&K wrote:And the answer to your question I did hook up the phone jack directly to the ooma device hub with no other line to it.

If you connected your ooma PHONE jack via a modular cord to a regular phone jack in your home, your alarm system will never work. See my description of the RJ31X jack and the attached wiring diagram to further understand why I say this. Connected as you have verified, your alarm panel is disconnecting your ooma system when it tries to make a report. However, if you are sure it is because of ADT's incompetence, then I wish you the best of luck. As far as adding the *99 prefix, this is something that your alarm system typically does from their remote monitoring center - it is not usually a customer option unless you installed your alarm panel yourself.
#80025 by sycd
Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:06 am
I tried messing with this a few months back but ultimately signed up for the ADT wireless option. Sure it's a bit more per month, but worth the peace of mind.

IMO there are simply too many points of failures and vulnerabilities using ooma or even a POTS line for an alarm system.