Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#77682 by rharkins
Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:15 pm
My Ooma has been set up and working for a couple of weeks, and I went ahead and bought one year of Premier service. My port is supposed to be complete this week. The phone number that shows up on my Ooma dashboard is the ex-AT&T number that is being ported to Ooma.

When I look at my account, I see a second number assigned that currently rings the phone attached to the Ooma. I suspect this is a temporary number assigned to me until the port is complete.

Will I be able to add a second number of my choosing after the port is complete?
#77684 by ntoy
Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:37 pm
Hello,

Actually the 2nd number was created when you had chosen to add a 2nd number via My Ooma.
If you are to change the number, there would be a fee for callerid name on a new number. You would need
to call into support.
#77687 by EA PA
Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:00 pm
$20 I believe
#77704 by rharkins
Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:49 pm
I didn't choose to add a second number in myOoma, at least not on purpose. I'm sure it was somewhere in the initial setup that the new number was created.

Thinking back, I do recall it asking for my area code and exchange. Odd that the primary number on my account is my ported-in number, which I would have done AFTER the initial setup.

Guess I'm just going to be out $20 if I want to use the feature. I got rid of AT&T to stop getting nickeled and dimed to death. Seems to be the way business is done today...
#77733 by rharkins
Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:04 am
lbmofo wrote:When you port your number over, the initial number you chose when you activated ooma becomes your 2nd number. If you need to change that, that's when the fee comes in (CNAM change http://ooma.custhelp.com/app/answers/de ... 94/kw/cnam).

Thanks. That makes sense.

Since my intention from the beginning was to port my old number over and use my second number as a local point of contact in my wife's home town, it would have been nice for Ooma to point this out. A footnote in the porting FAQ would have taken some of the sting out of this.

Bottom line is that the combination of my free port and free second number (with one year Premier purchase) really costs me $20. Ooma, are you listening?
#81822 by lavulavu88
Sat May 21, 2011 9:10 am
I am in the same situation just like rharkins. Just got my old number ported and found out my temporarily assigned number is now my second phone number!!! And it will cost $20 if I want to change. I thought I've read it somewhere that once the port is complete, the temp number will be put back in the pool and ready for reuse... hmmm... This is not a good business practice... there should be a clear explanation when a new customer want to port a number... unless I totally missed it. Was there a fine print somewhere??? Somehow I feel like being cheated...!
#81823 by EA PA
Sat May 21, 2011 9:30 am
Yea you have to be careful. After I was all set up, my bride wanted the second number to reflect the name of her small company. I called Ooma CS to make the request. They were very accommodating. After the 5 days or so that CS told me it would kick in, I checked and there it was! Excellent!

A few weeks later I saw some forum bantering about a fee to change the name on the number. Of course, I jumped in with my story of great satisfaction, and more importantly not being charged. Afterwards, I was thinking, hmmm, I wonder. I logged in and checked current charges - there its was $19.99 :shock: . No mention of the charge from CS on the phone. Now I know, any time talking to CS, ASK how much!
#81826 by Givmeabrek
Sat May 21, 2011 10:21 am
A major weakness of Ooma is the billing system. There is none. :shock:
Come to think of it Vonage had the same issue. They simply charge you and let you figure it out on your own.....

Last summer when I first signed up with Ooma they assured me that their billing system would be working in a couple of weeks. I'm still waiting. :cry:

Could it be so hard to have their system send out an email when you are charged for what you owe?? Can't be that tough.

I noticed the same second number issue. I don't really use it but an explanation when you are selecting it would be nice.
#81830 by EA PA
Sat May 21, 2011 10:36 am
Gee, I would have been happy with a simple hint from CS that he was going to charge 20 bucks. An after the fact email would be nice and would'nt seem to be all to hard either. Then again, everything is easy when you don't have to actually do it...