Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#77526 by zten
Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:06 am
I noticed ooma is offering a warranty extension now. $40 for one year extension, $80 for two year. I did have a catastropic failure of my ooma telo back in Dec, so I was considering this, but $40 for a year is alot when the box only costs 220 to begin with. I like to put in in perspective of phone bill payback time. its roughly 1.5 months of phone bill payback time. Any thoughts out there? Are you or are you not getting the extended warranty and why?

Thanks!
#77531 by EA PA
Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:33 am
zten wrote:I noticed ooma is offering a warranty extension now. $40 for one year extension, $80 for two year. I did have a catastropic failure of my ooma telo back in Dec, so I was considering this, but $40 for a year is alot when the box only costs 220 to begin with. I like to put in in perspective of phone bill payback time. its roughly 1.5 months of phone bill payback time. Any thoughts out there? Are you or are you not getting the extended warranty and why?

Thanks!

I am not. The cost benefit depends on how long one assumes the unit will last.

If you assume that the cost for the unit is $200:

If assumed to last 1 year, $200/12mo = it costs $ 16.66 per month. Add the 40 bucks for an additional 12 months and its $240/24mo = $10 bucks per month - pretty good savings.

However. if you assume it lasts 24 months, $200/24mo = $8.33 per mo. Add the $40 and $240/36mo = $6.66 / mo (big difference)

Assume 36 mo life: $200/36mo = $5.55 / mo, with the added 40$: $240/48mo = $5.00 / mo

In my thinking, infant mortality which is typically the cause of short term failures will happen within the first year and covered under the regular warranty. If it lasts beyond infant mortality, it will last much longer. Using the analysis above, you have deminishing returns over time. I feel that it will last longer than 3 years if it survives longer than 1. Therefore I feel its not worth it personally.
#77533 by tomcat
Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:43 am
There is also some discussion about the extended warranty here that indicates that some credit card companies offer extended warranties on the products you purchase with their cards at no additional charge.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8656
#77534 by EA PA
Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:48 am
tomcat wrote:There is also some discussion about the extended warranty here that indicates that some credit card companies offer extended warranties on the products you purchase with their cards at no additional charge.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8656

True - great way to go - there was someone that verified that AMEX paid off.. Fortunately I used AMX and did not even think of this until I saw the thread.
#77536 by EA PA
Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:54 am
EA PA wrote:
zten wrote:I noticed ooma is offering a warranty extension now. $40 for one year extension, $80 for two year. I did have a catastropic failure of my ooma telo back in Dec, so I was considering this, but $40 for a year is alot when the box only costs 220 to begin with. I like to put in in perspective of phone bill payback time. its roughly 1.5 months of phone bill payback time. Any thoughts out there? Are you or are you not getting the extended warranty and why?

Thanks!

I am not. The cost benefit depends on how long one assumes the unit will last.

If you assume that the cost for the unit is $200:

If assumed to last 1 year, $200/12mo = it costs $ 16.66 per month. Add the 40 bucks for an additional 12 months and its $240/24mo = $10 bucks per month - pretty good savings.

However. if you assume it lasts 24 months, $200/24mo = $8.33 per mo. Add the $40 and $240/36mo = $6.66 / mo (big difference)

Assume 36 mo life: $200/36mo = $5.55 / mo, with the added 40$: $240/48mo = $5.00 / mo

In my thinking, infant mortality which is typically the cause of short term failures will happen within the first year and covered under the regular warranty. If it lasts beyond infant mortality, it will last much longer. Using the analysis above, you have deminishing returns over time. I feel that it will last longer than 3 years if it survives longer than 1. Therefore I feel its not worth it personally.

In fact, 5 year life is break even:

Savings if fail

Months survival
12 $160.00
24 $60.00
36 $26.67
48 $10.00
60 $-
72 $(6.67)
84 $(11.43)
96 $(15.00)
#77655 by zten
Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:26 am
Not sure about infant mortality. My telo box died after I had it in use for more than 3 months. The one I have now has been operating since Dec. I have it powered on an UPS now, and I also turned off all the backlights so it does not get as warm. If it makes it to early September without failing, then I think I will skip the extended warranty. If it fails before then, (which is my 1 year anniversary), then I will probably get the extended warranty.
#77658 by EA PA
Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:05 am
zten wrote:Not sure about infant mortality. My telo box died after I had it in use for more than 3 months. The one I have now has been operating since Dec. I have it powered on an UPS now, and I also turned off all the backlights so it does not get as warm. If it makes it to early September without failing, then I think I will skip the extended warranty. If it fails before then, (which is my 1 year anniversary), then I will probably get the extended warranty.

There are several considerations to reliability, usually characterized by the “bathtub curve”. The infant mortality stage is early in the curve. Failures within this part of the curve are primarily due to manufacturing defects. Below is a link with further description of curve and longer term mitigating strategies.

You are taking the correct actions for longevity. Big hitters are accelerated aging due to heat, (placing into smaller enclosures and affected by self heating). Reducing indication intensity will help.

Electrical stresses are mitigated by UPS in your case, although there is cost in battery maintenance over time.

The link below also cites EMI as a source of problems, but I doubt you will have problems here with commercial grade devices. Finally mechanical failure is more of a function of internal jumper connection or socketed chips etc. With surface mount technology I doubt you see anything here in terms of failures. Maybe with connectors and how they interact with the main circuit board in terms of cold solder joints. Board to chassis connections are either integrated into circuit board or hard wired, either soldered or plug in. IMHO, integrated is far superior. However, I have not torn one apart.

Anyway, you are doing all the right stuff for longevity sake. I think cooling is the biggest consideration for long life. There is lots of info on the topic out there. I have done what I can - im only 2 months into it. Good luck

http://www.ece.cmu.edu/~koopman/des_s99 ... lectrical/
#79646 by hari
Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:44 am
I bought a refurbished hub, so no extended warranty from creditcards, so I am thinking this offer is good for me, especially that I will get to keep the core package (ie., no monthly payment). If I don't have warranty, then I might loose the core package, even if I try to buy another refurbished hub (I heard the newer ones have a monthly fees). My only concern is if Ooma decides to replace my hub with a telo, for whatever reason, then I am not sure if they would keep my current package or not. Any thoughts on this?
#79697 by EA PA
Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:59 pm
hari wrote:I bought a refurbished hub, so no extended warranty from creditcards, so I am thinking this offer is good for me, especially that I will get to keep the core package (ie., no monthly payment). If I don't have warranty, then I might loose the core package, even if I try to buy another refurbished hub (I heard the newer ones have a monthly fees). My only concern is if Ooma decides to replace my hub with a telo, for whatever reason, then I am not sure if they would keep my current package or not. Any thoughts on this?

In this case, you are in a land of unknowns. The previous owner may have lots of mileage on the unit, may have had it in a hot environment and shorted the life of the internal components until it failed. Conversely it may have been manufacturing defect or infant failure in which case you may have a unit that will last for years. Absent any of this information, it really becomes a personal comfort issue. It sounds like you talked yourself into it warranty already - lose core package, no fees etc. There is nothing wrong with reasonably priced, good warranty for peace of mind particularly if you are concerned with changing rules that will cost you in the future.
#79699 by hari
Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:18 pm
EA PA wrote:In this case, you are in a land of unknowns. The previous owner may have lots of mileage on the unit, may have had it in a hot environment and shorted the life of the internal components until it failed. Conversely it may have been manufacturing defect or infant failure in which case you may have a unit that will last for years. Absent any of this information, it really becomes a personal comfort issue. It sounds like you talked yourself into it warranty already - lose core package, no fees etc. There is nothing wrong with reasonably priced, good warranty for peace of mind particularly if you are concerned with changing rules that will cost you in the future.

Right, I talked myself into it, but not sure if I am thinking right, so expecting to hear from like minded people. Also hoping to hear some experiences on what happens to the plan if Ooma decides to replace it with a Telo.