Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#77081 by Venkatrr
Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:45 pm
Hi,

When I call a local area code phone number ( I live in chandler az and the area code is 480), the receiving phone gets my number with 1 prefixed. So when the receiving person checks her phone on missed call list and presses redial in the phone against my missed number to return the call, since my number is prefixed in the list with 1 the call does not land in my phone. The person will have to use the phone address book or manually key-in the numbers and then it is all ok. How can I suppress a 1 that gets sent when I call another home number in the same area code?

In this case - I use ooma and the receiving side uses vonage... Any help? Thanks in advance....

Thanks

Venkat R
#77084 by tomcat
Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:34 pm
This is not something you, or Ooma, has any control over. This is something that Vonage does and they claim it is there as a "convenience" to their customers.

However, she should still be able to dial your number including the "1" and still reach you. Another thought - some phones (like the Panasonic) have an edit feature that will remove the 1 and even the area code at the push of a button. The person you are calling should check to see if their phone has that capability to make it easier for them to call you.
#77710 by Venkatrr
Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:39 pm
Hi,

I checked with her and she says - she is claiming to see 11+my digit home ooma phone number in her received calls list. So it is not single 1 that prefixes but she sees eleven+my number. She is using Uniden phone.

Do you think I can do anything to get this resolved? The concern I have - I am not sure how many people that call us our home number face this issue. Because this issue of not able to reach my home phone was told by this person to me after trying for about a week and later called me in Cell phone and told me that she will never attempt to call me in home phone :-(. While I have asked her to call me from address book, I am not sure if I have to send this as a FAQ to all that call my home number....

Any suggestion would help.

Thanks

Venkat Ramamoorthy
#77714 by lbmofo
Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:48 pm
When you use your home phone to call your cell, what number shows up? Just area code and number? No 1's in front right?
Don't think Ooma is xmitting the extra 1s. So not sure what you or Ooma can do to fix this.
Don't mean any disrespect but what is so tough about writing down your number and calling you that way; programmed into the phone or manual?
#77722 by Venkatrr
Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:44 pm
thanks Ibmnfo.

When I call my ATT cell from my home - there is no 1 prefixed. Second, if the calling party know that they have to call from address book instead of redial from the missed call or received call - it is well and good.

Third and more importantly, my wife is not willing to change from vonage to ooma. I changed it and now have the bottom line responsibility to make sure that the service is "per expectations".....:-)

But Thanks for all your help, time, and advice.