Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#76310 by njmurvin
Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:24 pm
Since the Telo should be covered under Costco's unlimited return policy, why would anyone purchase extended warranty from Ooma? The reason I ask is that they are emailing me to purchase the extended warranty before the warranty expires (soon).
#76316 by southsound
Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:05 pm
I love the Costco return policy but you may already have an extended warranty. Most people who shop at Costco either use the Costco branded American Express card or a Discover card. If you used the Amex card, then you automatically have an extra year on the warranty through Amex. I don use Discover but I would guess they may also offer a similar extension or "buyer's protection" since most credit card companies do.

About a year ago I had a Pioneer AV receiver in our home theater go dead on one channel. It was just out of the manufacturer's warranty but still within the extra year provided by Amex. I called them and they told me that they did not have a servicer for the Pioneer but would be happy to send me a check for the original purchase price. They then told me that if I could find a repair source could facilitate the repair, to use those funds for the repair and not worry about it if the repair cost less than the refund. Made me a firm believer in Amex for sure!

As to your original question, extended warranties are always skewed towards the vendor because modern electronic equipment is usually very reliable - and the Telo is no exception. However, if an extended warranty buys you peace of mind to know that the manufacturer is standing behind it, then it may be well worth the cost.

Note to lbmfo - the Electronics Warranty is pretty specific. Non-listed items (such as the Telo) are covered by their regular return policy.
#76317 by lbmofo
Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:32 pm
southsound wrote:Note to lbmfo - the Electronics Warranty is pretty specific. Non-listed items (such as the Telo) are covered by their regular return policy.

My bad, never gave it much thought. I thought electronics meant electronics but I guess Costco is still in a generous mode. :cool:
#76325 by Lilly's_Closet
Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:52 pm
southsound wrote:I love the Costco return policy but you may already have an extended warranty. Most people who shop at Costco either use the Costco branded American Express card or a Discover card. If you used the Amex card, then you automatically have an extra year on the warranty through Amex. I don use Discover but I would guess they may also offer a similar extension or "buyer's protection" since most credit card companies.

Hi southsound, just as a heads up the last time I checked Discover Cards only offers the Extended Warranty on their Discover Business Card
#76329 by southsound
Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:22 pm
Lilly's_Closet wrote:Hi southsound, just as a heads up the last time I checked Discover Cards only offers the Extended Warranty on their Discover Business Card

Thanks. I never use Discover so I wasn't sure. I love the Amex card because it gives me great rebates on everything and even better gas rebates - if I could afford to buy gas at the current prices. I even bought my Honda Civic Hybrid on it a couple of years ago. We were going to pay cash but decided to use the card for the rebates. Boy, if you ever wanted to see a car dealer turn red with anger, try using it AFTER you get the lowest price. I even tried to get them to take the rebate value off of the car if I paid cash and they refused. It cost them more, but it was their choice. If they take the card for anything, their contract with Amex requires them to take it for everything.
#76419 by kieranmullen
Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:37 pm
Amex charges more for processing than visa / mc... 3-4% Depending on many factors of course. Cash back is never free to the merchant. That being said I use it too! :-)

lbmofo wrote:
southsound wrote:Boy, if you ever wanted to see a car dealer turn red with anger

2.56% of gross taken away from any profit can do that. :)