Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#75156 by kuyan
Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:39 pm
Hello. We're getting the wrong time on our Ooma handset and also on our caller-id display that we have hooked up to our wired living room phone. The time on both are a half hour behind.

Is this happening for other people?

Or do we have to do something ourselves to correct this?

Sorry if this been answered already, but the quick search that I did on the forum here didn't come up with anything.

Thanks for any and all responses and assistance.

UPDATE EDIT: See what our "Duh" solution is here:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10812&start=20#p75373

Thanks for reading. :)
Last edited by kuyan on Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#75159 by EA PA
Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:45 pm
wow - got me stumped.. My PC time a few min different than OOMA phone. not sure where time sync happens. I tried changing time on my PC an re-power all - no luck.. Then after, I changed back PC time and the phone sync'd perfectly. maybe worth a try..

You sure your not between time zones? (kidding) :P
#75191 by EA PA
Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:38 am
Maybe could re-register handset? or call OOMA support ?

Strange lack of any info on support website relative to how this thing syncs to internet or PC - nothing in menu structure that I found
#75194 by EA PA
Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:07 am
Ntoy - thanks for responding. Can you shed some light on how the OOMA gets time?
#75199 by EA PA
Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:52 am
Great! thanks for the info.

Strange though, unless I was seeing things, while I was changing time on my PC experimenting (PC wireless to router with OOMA between modem and router) I SWEAR I saw the time sync between PC and handset - maybe I was dreaming - but it was 4 min different when I changed time on PC back 1 hour, saw no change on headset, then changed back to current time +1 hour and now both are perfectly sync'd. Unless PC was out of wack and resync'd to the internet time server or whatever and OOMA time was already there....in fact, that must be what happened..

Thanks - nice to get some "how it works" info from OOMA folk..

I suggest getting this into some document somewhere so that we can find on support search.
#75327 by kuyan
Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:41 pm
ntoy wrote:Hello,

The timestamp issue on the telo is currently a bug. We're shooting for a fix end of Feb or March.

okay, thanks. so there's a bug in the telo that's causing this overall time sync problem?

geez, we didn't notice the time difference until a few days ago. the time was okay before. so this is some random thing where the telo eventually causes this problem? well, we'll look forward to the bug fix whenever that comes out end of this month or next.

oh, the time difference is now almost an hour behind over here. annoyingly awful.

oh regarding that other comment, i don't really think that changing the time on our PCs would make a difference, at least not in our situation. there's like several computers in the house, sometimes more depending on who's in the house, and as well as other devices in the house, and each would have the correct time but maybe off by no more than a minute or so. also the computers and devices would sync the time automatically with either microsoft or apple or amazon depending on the computer or device. also, our computers and other devices are further down the line (internet connection > ooma > wifi router > computers + devices.) but we did try that changing the time on a PC for the sake of trying it and the ooma time was still incorrect. we were thinking of checking the time on our wi-fi router to see if that's a problem. we'll let you know later on that.

but that telo bug makes much more sense to us as to what explains this time sync problem since it's the ooma telo and the telo handset that are affected and since both the ooma telo and the telo handset have to be syncing to the ooma servers and the ooma telo may be screwing things up. oh well, so it goes....
#75332 by EA PA
Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:09 pm
Yea - I cant imagine how this would be possible - just like testing stuff

I must have been dreaming. All I know is that it was out of sync before I started booting devices and resetting times, now PC and handset are sync'd

Good luck
#75347 by EA PA
Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:45 am
Hey there was one other thing that I did that I neglected to mention - I took the battery out of the handset for a few minutes - maybe that forced it to get new time from Telo - something else to try as well - although confirmed bug in software sounds like the issue.