Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#74962 by ptmuldoon
Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:33 am
My number was just ported from Vonage to Ooma, thus I'm just making use of things. So far so good, but have a questions on setting up the configuration in http://setup.ooma.com/

Do the existing setup in my home, I have (and can't really change) the Ooma Telo setup behind my router. And I have the "To NetWork" connected in my 'Office' PC.

I have router assigning manually IP's to each PC in the home based on their MAC id's. The router assigns the 'Office' PC an IP of 192.169.2. Normally, I can RD into that machine from any other in house. Now with Ooma Telo between the router and the PC, I can't RD into the machine.

It looks like the 'Office' PC is not getting an IP from Ooma Telo instead of the Router. I see its been asked to be able to disable the DHCP in the Telo, but doesn't seem like that has feature request had made it in yet.

So, what is necessary to change in the Telo Network settings to have the 'Offic' PC be seen again by the router and gets it correct manually assigned IP address?

Thanks
PT
#74969 by thunderbird
Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:46 am
Your router provides a LAN.

If you have anything connected to the Home port of your Ooma device, the device is on another different LAN provided by the Ooma device.

If the Ooma device is connected behind the router, most people don’t connect anything to the Ooma device Home port.

If more ports are required, most people will add a Switch to their router's LAN. The switch acts as a port multiplier.
#74987 by ptmuldoon
Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:15 am
Thunderbird.

Thanks, but that doesn't really solve my question/dilemma. I do not currently have phone lines near where my modem and router are located.

The point is to not have to run another cat5 line 50 feet across the house (and through walls) to where the PC and phone lines are located. Also, my Router has 4 Wired ports, and all are used at the moment. I could pick up a 2 port hub to split that off at the PC, but that may degrade the quality.

With Vonage, you can disable the DHCP, and essentially just pass through the device to your PC with no problems. I've reading some posts, about manually assigning the Ooma device an IP address in one's router (thats the easy part), but I'm unsure what you change in ooma setup to ensure its passed correctly to the PC.
#74993 by thunderbird
Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:52 am
ptmuldoon:
I have not heard of anyone being able to merge a router's LAN and an Ooma device's Lan.

If you purchase and install a Switch, you can place it anywhere in you router's LAN network without any degrade of signal. You can place the Switch just ahead of your Ooma device if you want.

An eight port Switch that I like is a Cisco SG 100D-08 8-Port Gigabit Switch.

I purchased two of these Switches recently. The reason that I purchased eight port switches is so that I have a few extra ports for expansion later. I have a Switch upstairs near my router, which feed two computers and a printer, and a switch downstairs where my my main computer and printers are, with only one network cable routed downstairs.

http://www.buy.com/prod/cisco-sg-100d-0 ... 86031.html

But there are several other switches out there including four port switches.

Don't purchase a Hub. A Hub my not pass on IP addresses from your router. A switch will pass on IP address from your router, just like if you were making the connection to one of the four router ports.
#74997 by ptmuldoon
Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:45 am
A coworker and I have both decided to start running Cat5 throughout out entire homes, and were both good with IT stuff. That said, I actually have a 24 port Gigabit switch already order and on its way, with Cat 5 already ran to 2 rooms. Along with 2 patch panels to be used (1 in the basement, and 1 in the attics.

fyi.... a great place to buy home network stuff, etc is monoprice.com check them out if you'd like.

But my point is that I should be able to place the ooma telo between the router and the PC, and to let the PC be assigned the IP address from the router, and not from the Telo.
#75002 by Lilly's_Closet
Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:10 pm
Sounds like you have already found your solution by running cable. Just a few notes, if you want to maximize your Gigabit Switch witch I am assuming is going to be your backbone, then you will need to upgrade your cable to Cat 6.

Also regarding your original problem, since you knew the address that you wanted the PC to have you could have just assigned it manually to the PC and changed the IP address scheme that the Ooma was distributing to the same scheme as your network. That way everything is on the same network and the IP address of you PC never changes. Your PC would also not issue a DHCP request to Ooma. Yes you loose DHCP on that client but on the upside, all things being equal it should work.