Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#73865 by jweaks
Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:17 am
My setup is:

[Cable Modem] >> [Airport Extreme Base Station] >> [Ooma Telo] >> [iMac]

When I plug the iMac into the "Home Network" port, it gives the computer internet access no problem. However, when I launch the AirPort Utility on the iMac, it doesn't find the Airport Extreme Base Station in order to configure it.
An additional symptom is that the iMac can't find the HP Printer that is connected to the Airport Base Station.

If I unplug the iMac from the Telo and plug it directly into the Airport Base Station with a longer ethernet cable, these problems are solved.
So, is there some setting I can do to the Telo at setup.ooma.com to keep it from blocking the iMac's access to the Base Station and from recognizing the printer on the network?

(Putting the Telo in front of the base station is problematic for me since the base station is in the basement.)
#73872 by murphy
Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:45 am
There is no setting. Leave the Telo Home port empty.
If you have a wiring problem running a second cable, get a switch and place it near your Telo and computer.
The Airport feeds the switch and the switch feeds whatever you want it to.
#73877 by murphy
Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:09 am
jweaks wrote:So, a computer plugged into the Telo hub can't find/recognize a printer upstream on the network?

Correct since it's on a different subnet.
#73880 by jweaks
Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:31 am
Thank you very much for your help.

That's a bummer, and surprising there's no "bridge mode" for the Ooma Telo hub that allows for it. Looks like I'll be running another 75 foot Cat5e through the walls. :(
#73891 by thunderbird
Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:24 pm
A Switch is a port multiplier. You just connect a network cable to one of the Airport Extreme Base Station's three LAN ports. Than the other end of the network cable to one of the eight ports of the Switch. Than you can plug anything into the remining seven ports of the Switch. The remining seven switch ports will operate just like your Airport Extreme Base Station's three LAN ports.

Below is a good fast 8 port Gigabit Switch that I like. There are also 4 port Switches out there. It might be useful, rather than routing a network cable through the walls.

Cisco SG 100D-08 Ethernet Switch - 8 Port

http://www.buy.com/retail/usersearchres ... isplay=col