Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#73380 by themachine
Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:31 pm
I've had a problem with my Telo blinking red every week or so, Ooma support recommend I put it behind my router. I tried that before along with setting up QOS however I got call echoing. Does anyone have a detailed guide for setting up QOS with a Tomato firmware based router?
#73382 by themachine
Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:02 pm
Yes. Here's why I need to put my Ooma behind my router.

My setup is: Motorola SB6120 Cable Modem > Ooma Telo > Wireless Router. Ever since I got Ooma, every 6-10 days, the Ooma will blink red. During this time, no computers can connect to the internet. I isolated the problem to the Ooma as every time this issue happens, I just have to unplug the power to the Ooma unit only, after plugging the power back into it, the Ooma connect is fixed and the computers connected to the router can connect to the internet again. Note that I did NOT have to reboot the cable modem or wireless router to fix this, rebooting only the Ooma fixed it. So it looks like there's an issue with the Ooma Telo unit itself.

Ooma support recommended I change the Network setting to Use built in MAC address instead of automatic as the post you linked to recommended to do as well. I did that and the rate of disconnects actually increased! They happened daily instead of weekly. So I'm going to to put the Telo behind my router so it'll stop taking down my entire network. Thus I want to setup my router's QOS so it will manage the bandwidth.
#73383 by lbmofo
Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:15 pm
Built in modem port MAC address was what I had in mind and if that didn't help, have you tried hard reset of your modem?

Either through a reset button on the modem device or through modem device URL page: http://192.168.100.1 do a "restore factory default" and reboot. This will make your modem relearn your cable line parameters/characteristics. Worth a shot.
#73384 by thunderbird
Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:17 pm
Using good DECT 6 phones usually greatly helps reduce the echo problem. Using better network cables, to the modem (if possible), from the modem to the router, from the router to the Ooma device, also helps to a lesser extent. Shielded cat 6 cables are preferred.

As far as other QoS problems with the Ooma device placed behind the router, why not try it first and than report your problems to this forum. It may take a little longer to effect corrections, but it may be easier.

Good Luck
#73385 by themachine
Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:25 pm
I'll try the modem factory reset as I'm willing to give anything a shot to fix this. All my network cables are shielded, I have DECT 6.0 handsets. I only saw the echoing problem when I put the Telo behind my router, not all calls had it BTW, moving the Telo so it's between the modem and router solved that echoing problem completely, so that's a good sign the echoing was caused by not setting up the QOS correctly in the router for the Telo which is why I posted this topic. Tomato QOS is pretty intimidating, lots of stuff to setup.
#73391 by WayneDsr
Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:29 pm
It was pretty simple to set QOS for Ooma in Tomato. All I did was give the Ooma devices mac address the highest prority under QOS / CLASSIFICATION and scrolled it to the top of the list.
Also made sure the Ooma device had a static IP found under BASIC / STATIC DHCP.

Wayne