Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#72983 by Nathan 1
Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:13 am
I am a new subscriber to ooma and thank God its very well worth while. I am now looking into the mobile application set-up that ooma has to offer. I looked at the ooma info available, but it really is too generic from my perspective. What I am looking to do is to buy a cell phone or some sort of handheld communication divice about the size of a cell phone that is specifically for the ooma application. I have no intent to purchase a cell phone contract at all. Is there any kind of list of cell phone style devices that would allow me to connect to wi-fi routers for ooma? Even if its a regular cell phone minus the service conract just for the purpose of wi-fi 2.4g. I have no intent to conect to 3g, 4g or any cell phone towers for a bill at this point. Can anyone start me in the right direction here on this? I will be starting ooma premier when the time comes.
#72985 by murphy
Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:18 am
Most cell phones turn into a brick if there is no contract. The only thing you can dial is 911.
The app requires a smart phone.
You can do what you want with the latest iPOD Touch.
#72986 by Nathan 1
Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:48 am
Personally I am not a fan of the i series apple products. I-pad, pod and so on. They are very expensive for what you get even though it is a quality product. Is there anotherline up of products out there that will function the same? Especially the wi-f- 2.4 g/n stuff.
#72987 by murphy
Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:08 am
That was an interesting question. I took the SIM card out of my Motorola CLIQ smart phone. I turned it on and enabled WiFi.
I was able to make a call using the Ooma app so it's not locked down like my old dumb phone was.

I guess you could pick up a used one on eBay for $100 or so.

I'm not sure how you would pay for the app in the Android Market without an active cell phone connection though.
#72992 by Nathan 1
Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:51 am
ok...so at this point i-stuff is about the only true design that is fully capable at this point without some other external service. If that is the correct understanding anyways.