Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#72390 by hackerguy
Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:11 pm
I am going on my second year with Ooma. First year with the hub and scout and second year with the Telo. I have been very happy with the service and plan to remain a customer.
#72396 by lbmofo
Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:51 pm
Bill D wrote:
jhphone wrote:I am still holding on because users like you demonstrate that there IS A SOLUTION.

Its possible the that both the happy & unhappy users have exactly the same delay on their Oomas, but the happy users are "polite talkers". Maybe IBmofo and his 20+ family and friends are all very polite talkers.

I've noticed that polite talkers don't seem to have a problem with excessive delay on the phone. I've had a few conversations with folks where the delay could have been several seconds and they wouldn't have even noticed. Their style seems to be "I won't talk until I'm really really sure you're done". Of course when I talk with folks like this, I do the same thing they do.

I've also been on calls with "interrupters" where we end up stopping and both say "go ahead" at the same time and then each wait for each other, only to them both respond at the same time. Business calls and group conference calls are the worse. There's a big difference between 400 ms and 600 ms on these calls.

Bill

For me, I have no issues with delay because my Ooma performs better than my cell phones. This should be true with everyone that uses cell phones.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9569&start=110#p69203

lbmofo wrote:
lbmofo wrote:For me, I notice no difference between ooma and my cell when calling this number to test echo delay.

tkeppell wrote:I found this helpful information on another website and am sharing here.

To test voice quality dial the echo back number 909-390-0003

Note: It may not ring, and no one says hello. Just wait a few seconds for it to connect, then talk and it will echo back your voice.

Confirming:

Ooma Hub 470ms
AT&T Blackberry Bold 560ms
AT&T iPhone 3G 550ms
Ooma iPhone app via WiFi 470ms
Ooma iPhone app via 3G 900ms

I see no issues as long as Ooma delay is cellphone like or better.
#72419 by Bill D
Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:54 am
lbmofo wrote:I see no issues as long as Ooma delay is cellphone like or better.

I agree and feel a little guilty complaining about something that is such a great value.

AT&T calls on my iPhone 4 echo test at 400 ms and my Hub used to be the same, but the Hub has increased to 600 ms and is annoyingly noticeable on some calls as I described above.

Even though I miss my Hub's good old 400 ms, if both parties on the call are aware of the extra delay and are "polite", 600 ms is tolerable.

Bill
#72445 by luvsaving$
Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:14 pm
Bill D wrote: Even though I miss my Hub's good old 400 ms, if both parties on the call are aware of the extra delay and are "polite", 600 ms is tolerable.

Bill

How can I determine my "ms" response time number?
#72473 by BackupBob
Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:48 pm
I am a new user, having tested Ooma on a temporary number for a month. Number porting has been completed and I am now saving $63 per month by dropping Verizon and another VoIP carrier.

I have seen occasional delay problems, which can result in both callers stepping on each other. Most of the time that is not an issue. If the other party is on a cell phone there can be a little echo. Most callers never know I have changed systems.

I have discovered a problem with call waiting. The 2nd call seems to wait out the time for voice mail to pick up before it rings in. In my case that is 45 seconds and people will hang up by then. Hopefully Tech Support can get this ironed out.

I have spoken with two people in Tech Support, which is overseas. One was excellent at handling a setup question. The other was a little slower on the uptake but she solved my problem, which was related to the carrier I ported from.

The tech support people do not repeat your name every minute, they do not seem to read from a script, and they also do not apologize for everything. They seem well trained and I hope they are adequately paid so they will want to stay on board. If they can provide good support I really do not care if they have an accent or a name I may not recognize.

I am a little over a month into my Ooma experience and so far it has been good. I do not expect perfection, though. After all, this is VoIP using the Internet and by definition it is subject to all sorts of trouble. That the Ooma Telo can handle most of those troubles most of the time is a tribute to its designers.
#72504 by Bill D
Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:56 am
BackupBob wrote:I have discovered a problem with call waiting. The 2nd call seems to wait out the time for voice mail to pick up before it rings in. In my case that is 45 seconds and people will hang up by then.

Since there's always some callers that don't leave messages, your comment caused me to test for this bug but I found no problem (I have a Hub without Premier).

My 2nd callers hear ringing right away, the same is if the line was not in use. The number of rings before VM picks is also the same either way.

Is it possible you are mistaken?

Anyone else have this problem?
Last edited by Bill D on Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#72543 by nn5i
Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:45 pm
I will keep the Ooma device, but solely because of the cost savings. The delay is very annoying, and the frequent garbled transmission is also a problem. My Ooma has now just barely paid for itself, and in the coming months will show a bottom-line saving. But I'm paying for that saving, with poor call quality.

To the remarks about "polite talkers" and "impolite talkers" I would reply, nonsense! The problem occurs even with talkers that you would surely characterize as "polite". If two very polite talkers each wait, say, about five seconds for the other to speak, but the one who last spoke waits slightly longer (by an amount equal to the delay), they will collide, just as if they were face-to-face and started simultaneously. Politeness, or the lack of it, has little to do with it.
#72548 by Davesworld
Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:44 pm
The delay for good voip is seldom more than 150ms VOICE round trip delay and certainly not over 200ms. Some of that is jitter buffering and codec lag but only about 20ms with most of that being buffering. The bulk of it is likely caused by call routing. If you saw some of the paths that cheap routing can take you'd cry. No it's never quite as bad as going through equipment in a chicken coop with the cables buried in chicken doo :D As far as cellular delay, it depends on the type and carrier but there will always be some in any method of telephony. I agree with the polite talker theory and I hate to say but my phone manners have become rather sucky over the years.

I actually hate talking on cellphones and holding a rectangular blob up to my head but I need the ability to be reached. You'd think that I would not own one, wrong! I use a flagship Nokia N900 because of the cool non cellular stuff. It has a built in fm transmitter so on Christmas I decided to stream shoutcast over my car fm radio from Everett, Wa to Olympia, Wa (82 miles) using Tmo 3G. I had it drop to buffering on me once. My theory is if you haul ass through a dead spot you can beat the buffer timeout. :D
#72551 by Bill D
Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:12 pm
Davesworld wrote:The delay for good voip is seldom more than 150ms VOICE round trip delay and certainly not over 200ms. Some of that is jitter buffering and codec lag but only about 20ms with most of that being buffering. The bulk of it is likely caused by call routing.

I was not speeding your honor, I was avoiding a buffer under-run. :P

Cheap Routing - - I have 2 Hubs and when I call Hub-to-Hub, I measure 300 ms one way, which would equal 600 ms round trip. I believe that test is without any VOIP routing outside of Ooma. Cheap routing may not be causing the delay because when I call 909-390-0003 from one Hub, I also measure 600 ms roundtrip delay. (My ping time to www3.ooma.com is 75 ms).