Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#69861 by naivenewcomer
Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:59 pm
Hi, ooma fans,

My mother has Philips Lifeline, which is a unit plugged into the phone connection in the wall. Her cordless phone base ix plugged into the Lifeline unit. This allows her to press a device she carries with her in order to alert an emergency service. The Lifeline box serves as a microphone so the service can hear my mom if, say, she has fallen on the floor and can't get up.

My question is whether an ooma hub can be configured with the Lifeline so they both work. Assume that all of her phones are part of one cordless phone set and that the old-fashioned copper phone wiring in her house is not being used at all. (The wiring is bad, so we need to avoid using it.)

Many thanks!
#69862 by southsound
Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:23 pm
I am a longtime ooma user and sometimes even called an ooma fanboy but I personally would not trust ooma for either this situation or one where a medical device was making the calls to a hospital or doctor's office. That doesn't mean that you can't use ooma for your mom's phone calls, but I would keep a basic landline for the Philips device. My wife and I only have fond memories of our parents now as they have passed on to a better place, but I still place a greater value on safety and reliability for an elderly person that on saving $15 a month for a basic landline. Just my humble opinion. Please don't take my comment as negative torwards ooma.

And lest I forget, welcome to ooma and to the forum!