Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#69141 by dshinnick
Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:41 pm
We live in a motorhome and use a Verizon "air card" (the MiFI) for our internet access. The MiFi allows only 5Gig per month of upstream/downstream use. I use an original Ooma hub for our non-cellphone calls. I'm a bit concerned about how much bandwidth (either up or down) the Ooma hub might be using when it is "idle"; that is, plugged in and connected to our router, but not engaged in a phone call. How often does it contact the Ooma "mother ship"? It seems like it must poll the Ooma system quite regularly to check for incoming phone calls, right? I called tech support to get the answer, but he either didn't know, or just couldn't understand my question.

Thanks much!

Dave
#69145 by murphy
Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:45 pm
dshinnick wrote:We live in a motorhome and use a Verizon "air card" (the MiFI) for our internet access. The MiFi allows only 5Gig per month of upstream/downstream use. I use an original Ooma hub for our non-cellphone calls. I'm a bit concerned about how much bandwidth (either up or down) the Ooma hub might be using when it is "idle"; that is, plugged in and connected to our router, but not engaged in a phone call. How often does it contact the Ooma "mother ship"? It seems like it must poll the Ooma system quite regularly to check for incoming phone calls, right? I called tech support to get the answer, but he either didn't know, or just couldn't understand my question.

Thanks much!

Dave

You can see how much data has moved through the modem port since the last power cycle on the Ports page in setup.