Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#3886 by golfbroker
Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:45 pm
Hey gang, hope somebody can help. I've go two land lines in the home. One for the family that runs throughout the home and a second business line just in the office. The home line is not set up in the office and the business line is not throughout the home. My computer, router, modem etc. are just in the office. I want to keep the business line phone #. So with that said, it seems like the office is the only place I can set up the hub, but how can I use the Ooma on my second home line? Do I need to have my office wired with the home line or is there an easier option? Thank you in advance...
#3889 by murphy
Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:02 pm
What do you want to end up with?

Two land lines, one land line, or no land lines?

One ooma line or two ooma lines (requires Premier)?

Land line integrated with ooma or not?

Are your phone jacks home run wired to a common place in the house or is it an old house that daisy chains them throughout the house?

Are the wires hooked up at the jacks for two lines?
#3893 by WayneDsr
Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:23 pm
Hopefully the whole house is wired for both lines 1 and 2 and all you'll need is a 2 line splitter at the phone jack for the hub to plug into.

Could he be that lucky?

Wayne
#3912 by golfbroker
Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:24 am
Thanks for the quick reply back. I will be signing up for the premier service and will be dropping both land lines once I know the business number has been port forwarded. I want to be able to use the ooma setup throughout the entire house. As of now, the hub would set up in my office (modem / router) and is wired only with the business line. The rest of the house is wired with the family phone line. In reading the ooma material it is telling me the ooma hub and scout need to be set up on the same line. So I guess I'm trying to see if there is an alternative to making this set up work without having to rewire another line to the office. Thanks again for your advice.
#3916 by southsound
Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:46 am
It would be very unusual for a telco installer to use 1-pair cable to wire your office or the rest of the house. More than likely, they used either 3-pair or 4-pair wire. You can tell by removing the jack plate from the wall and observing the cable. Typical installations will use the white/blue pair for the first line, the white/orange for the second, white/green for the third, and if a 4th line is used, white/brown. Most installers will leave the unused pairs wrapped around the cable so they may be connected later if needed.

As long as the "wall" connections on both the hub and the scout use the same pair of wires, they will communicate. A splitter is one choice, but I would consider a plate with two jacks in the rooms where the scouts will be located. The second jack would be for the scout and would be on the same pair as the business line. If you do use the splitters, you need to connect the office line pair to the second set of screws or punchdowns in the rest of the house. The jacks may use the old color code system. Here is the translation:

Line 1 white/blue - green
Line 1 blue/white - red
Line 2 white/orange - black
Line 2 orange/white - yellow

Note that some cables may use a solid blue, solid orange, and solid orange wire instead of the combination color code. Also, you will want to check that the wires are connected at the "network interface" or telco demarcation box. If you connect up the jacks but the wires are not connected at the interface box, you will connect them for the scouts to work.
#4099 by oomg
Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:21 am
It sounds like you have exactly the same set up that I have, except that I had four lines coming into the homw; two that were prewired when the home was built, and two that I wired directly to my home office. (I had four connections at the connection box.)

My DSL service is on one of the business lines. For business reasons, I had already ported two of the lines to T-Mobile's @home service. That leaves me with two separate landlines; one for family and the second for busness and DSL connection (which are separated by separate cables).

As soon as porting is completed for my family landline, I will simply change the location of the remaining line at the connection box so that it is in the location where the current family line is connected. At that point I will move the connection for the modem for my modem from the separately wired connection to the existing wall plug. Then I can drop the second landline with my local carrier. Does any of this make sense?