Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#59542 by murphy
Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:57 am
FreePhone wrote:I am curious why it takes so long to have a number ported? It only takes minutes to do it for cell phones.

Cell phones are a special case mandated by the FCC or Congress (I forget which).
Porting for land line phones was an after thought and hampered by the fact that the land line company that originally issues a number owns it forever. If a number was originally issued by Verizon and subsequently ported to Vonage, you can't port directly from Vonage to Ooma. First Vonage has to release the number back to Verizon and then Ooma has to pick it up from Verizon. You have three companies interacting and two of them have nothing to gain from the process.
#59550 by lbmofo
Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:03 am
murphy wrote:
FreePhone wrote:I am curious why it takes so long to have a number ported? It only takes minutes to do it for cell phones.

Cell phones are a special case mandated by the FCC or Congress (I forget which).
Porting for land line phones was an after thought and hampered by the fact that the land line company that originally issues a number owns it forever. If a number was originally issued by Verizon and subsequently ported to Vonage, you can't port directly from Vonage to Ooma. First Vonage has to release the number back to Verizon and then Ooma has to pick it up from Verizon. You have three companies interacting and two of them have nothing to gain from the process.

In your example, I think that ooma would pickup the number directly from Vonage. Verizon wouldn't get involved.
#59567 by murphy
Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:38 am
lbmofo wrote:
murphy wrote:

In your example, I think that ooma would pickup the number directly from Vonage. Verizon wouldn't get involved.

Not true. I did exactly that example. Vonage reversed the port from Verizon to Vonage done 5 years earlier and then closed my account. That gave the number back to Verizon. Ooma then got the number from Verizon.
#62253 by soxfan37
Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:25 pm
It may depend on your existing carrier as to how quickly they will give up the number. I made a port request on Aug 7th and the scheduled port date is Aug 18th, less than two weeks. Existing service is with AT&T formerly Bellsouth. Of course it hasn't gone through yet. I will post a follow up if the porting is delayed for any reason.
#63489 by skolvikes
Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:38 am
Hey Soxfan, has your number ported yet? I also submitted mine on Aug 7, First they gave me an estimated date of Aug 26 then extended it to Sept 7 with no explanation.