Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#59387 by jaxf250
Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:42 am
Hey Ooma users / mods -

I get calls that show up on caller ID like this:
+407-22222225899

(number changed to all "2"'s for demonstration purposes)

So it is like their number plus an extension (5899). Anyway, when I tick the little stop sign to add it
from the call log to the black list, it says it worked, but when I View All on my blacklist, the
entry is not there at all.

Is there a way I can add this, or better yet, a wildcard string to block them out?

Thanks for any help with this.
#59418 by jaxf250
Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:04 pm
ntoy wrote:Hello,

We are unable to support wildcards.
However, we are working on a feature to blacklist by name.

@ntoy - thank you for the quick reply. While the block by name sounds like a nice feature,
in the case of the above number I listed, there is no name shown on CID....weird... wish
there was a way I could block it.

Would adding the number +407-222
block anything that started with that string? How does the "+" work with Ooma
blocking? I cannot seem to save a blacklist item with this prefix....

One more please: what is the limit on # of entries for the blacklist? I saw some other post
mention 128 - is that correct?

Thanks!
#59422 by jaxf250
Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:23 pm
Nice to know the limit is 256 - cool.

So regarding the number that is showing on my CID with the leading "+" sign on the
string of digits, if I add the first few numbers to my blacklist without the "+" in front,
it will not block it?

If "no", can I add a string longer than 10 digits to match and block what is coming
across in CID, or is that a feature request? Heck, if the blocking could be set to
ignore anything coming across SID AFTER the first 10 digits and match for a block
on that (ie ignore the extension), that would work too.

Thanks! Love my Ooma systems....
#59640 by azism
Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:35 am
ntoy wrote:Hello,

We are unable to support wildcards.
However, we are working on a feature to blacklist by name.

That would work with the solitation calls I am getting from 202-315-nnnn as every one of them comes through with the name of "NA" and as far as I can tell they are the only ones doing that. I just wish it was manatory for callers from organizations calling to solicit funds/donations to use their real name and not fake abbrevations like the "NA".
#63022 by minnegopher
Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:17 pm
I totally agree that ooma should automatically blacklist phone numbers from '000' area codes or prefixes. These phone numbers simply do not exist and are obviously fake and spam. I have received several 000-prefix robocalls over the past few weeks and would like for them to stop. These spammers just change the last four digits to avoid my personal blacklist. The national do-not-call list is no deterrant to these fools... it's a joke.

Please stop the (xxx) 000-xxxx calls!!! It should not take a technical miracle to block '000' calls!
#108962 by holmes4
Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:35 am
Sadly, while Ooma's wildcard feature allows you to block 000-xxx-xxxx, it doesn't allow blocking of xxx-000-xxxx, which I see a lot from robocallers. This is why I requested that Ooma automatically block both area codes and exchanges which are never allowed by the North American Numbering Plan (this would include 0xx and 1xx exchanges.)