Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#55127 by towhids
Sun May 09, 2010 10:58 pm
sfhub wrote:
towhids wrote:I have purchased a Oomacore (refurbished) in March from Fry's.

Are you sure you bought an Ooma *Core* (refurbished)? I've never seen an Ooma Core refurbished at Fry's. As far as I've seen, they've only ever sold Ooma Hub (refurbished), both online and in-store. People's experience with the Ooma Hub (refurbished) is it is just the luck of the draw whether they are bundled with Ooma Core service level or Ooma Basic service level.

If that's the case that is luck of the draw...then Ooma is in the Super Lotto business and customer rights are not protected. If I don't get a resolution, then I might just complain to the consumer protection agency. I am sure many people are lured into buying with one kind of information and then getting slapped with regulatory taxes and fees. This MUST be stopped immediately.
#55128 by towhids
Sun May 09, 2010 11:02 pm
lbmofo wrote:
towhids wrote:It appears that the business practice and customer service at Ooma is subpar to the say the least. I hope someone from Ooma could fix this problem. Lets see if I get some resolution through this post.

Quite the opposite. ooma has been great at honoring promises printed on the box. When you bought a refurb, IMO, you signed up for uncertainty. You can't really blame this one on ooma.

I would respectfully disagree with the point you made as uncertainty is NEVER something a consumer pays for. Will anyone pay for any electronic device if the ad, instruction, manual or terms of conditions mentions that it may not provide some features in some machines.
#55129 by sfhub
Mon May 10, 2010 12:23 am
towhids wrote:If that's the case that is luck of the draw...then Ooma is in the Super Lotto business and customer rights are not protected. If I don't get a resolution, then I might just complain to the consumer protection agency. I am sure many people are lured into buying with one kind of information and then getting slapped with regulatory taxes and fees. This MUST be stopped immediately.

Ooma is very good about honoring what they advertised the product with for the *original retail packaging*. If it says something, they've honored it.

For *refurb* boxes only, they could have originally come from any product bundle so they could have had different terms. You cannot say that Ooma promised you some type of service and pricing because as you said, the packaging didn't say anything. It is the luck of the draw whether you get one that has *better* terms than currently available. At worst you'll get the terms that are currently available.

So may I ask how you came to the conclusion you wouldn't have to pay any fees on an Ooma Hub (refurb)? There *have been fees* for standalone Hubs for a long time before you bought your *refurb* Hub, so the website wouldn't have said no fees. Please show on the Ooma website or the product packaging you were given where Ooma promised you no fees to "lure you in".

The only product that has no fees at this point is an *unactivated* Ooma Core (hub+scout) bundle. This is *not* what you purchased. You bought an Ooma Hub (refurb), which made no promises about any pricing.

You might be able to make the argument that when you bought the Hub, Ooma claimed $11.75/yr taxes and fees, but by the time you activated, they changed their pricing. If you wanted to keep Ooma, I'd go that route and see what they could do for you.

IMO though you made some assumption based on what someone else may have written or experienced, but not something provided to you from Ooma, and now that the assumption turned out to be not correct, you are getting upset.

If you are unhappy with the terms, argue that Ooma should refund your money or bring it back to Fry's and argue they should take the return because they didn't tell you the terms. Even after 30 days, Fry's will sometimes take the product back if you argue enough, but they'll give you store credit if after 30 days.

Arguing that Ooma has to honor some sort of pricing you have in your head but which they've never promised to you for the product you actually bought isn't going to get you much sympathy.

If you bought retail packaging that promised you some terms and Ooma wasn't honoring that, then that is a very different story. Ooma is very good about honoring the terms advertised on the original retail packaging.
#55132 by fishhawk
Mon May 10, 2010 5:11 am
I've never seen the refurb "core" at Fry's; only the refurb "hub".

Part of the confusion is Fry's fault. On the Fry's web site, it calls it "Ooma - ooma Hub VoIP Home Phone Service with no monthly service bills (Refurbished)" Note that it says "service bills". It's easy to confuse this with monthly taxes. With the refurb hub, it's YMMV on whether you have to pay taxes, but you don't have to pay for service itself.
#55136 by lbmofo
Mon May 10, 2010 6:43 am
towhids wrote:
lbmofo wrote:
towhids wrote:It appears that the business practice and customer service at Ooma is subpar to the say the least. I hope someone from Ooma could fix this problem. Lets see if I get some resolution through this post.

Quite the opposite. ooma has been great at honoring promises printed on the box. When you bought a refurb, IMO, you signed up for uncertainty. You can't really blame this one on ooma.

I would respectfully disagree with the point you made as uncertainty is NEVER something a consumer pays for. Will anyone pay for any electronic device if the ad, instruction, manual or terms of conditions mentions that it may not provide some features in some machines.

With all devices, if you choose to, you can get free home phone service. No promises broken there by ooma. For some privileged few, no taxes. The rest, pay taxes per year or per month; remember, it is a privilege that ooma gave to those few not to pay tax, not a right.

sfhub summed it up:
sfhub wrote:Arguing that Ooma has to honor some sort of pricing you have in your head but which they've never promised to you for the product you actually bought isn't going to get you much sympathy.
#55139 by DTMF
Mon May 10, 2010 7:03 am
towhids wrote:I would respectfully disagree with the point you made as uncertainty is NEVER something a consumer pays for. Will anyone pay for any electronic device if the ad, instruction, manual or terms of conditions mentions that it may not provide some features in some machines.

What was it that Mark Twain said were the only two things that were certain in life? "Death" and... something else... it'll come to me. ;)

towhids wrote:If I don't get a resolution, then I might just complain to the consumer protection agency. I am sure many people are lured into buying with one kind of information and then getting slapped with regulatory taxes and fees. This MUST be stopped immediately.

I'm sure that a government agency will be eager to force a private company to absorb taxes and fees levied by the government rather than pass them onto consumers. That probably wouldn't be a conflict of interest or unlawful restraint of trade. ;)

IMO, your best solution appears to be to find a buyer for your Ooma hardware and move on to a phone company that better meets your needs. Either that or wait until someone invents a time machine that can transport you back to 2009, where it will be easier to acquire Ooma hardware under the company's first generation T&C.
#55160 by lbmofo
Mon May 10, 2010 9:01 am
DTMF wrote:What was it that Mark Twain said were the only two things that were certain in life? "Death" and... something else... it'll come to me. ;)

Is this it?

"In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."
Franklin, Benjamin
#55173 by DTMF
Mon May 10, 2010 10:25 am
lbmofo wrote:
DTMF wrote:What was it that Mark Twain said were the only two things that were certain in life? "Death" and... something else... it'll come to me. ;)

Is this it?

"In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."
Franklin, Benjamin
That's the one. :cool: