Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#55091 by towhids
Sun May 09, 2010 2:50 pm
I have purchased a Oomacore (refurbished) in March from Fry's.

At first, there was a huge problem in getting that activated. It was showing an error message saying "Error with fullfillment record Error Code: 1000/300". Finally, I was able to get it activated.

When I checked my account last night (05/08/2010) and opted out from my premier service, I was put in Ooma Basic and NOT Ooma Core and that I will be charged taxes and fees monthly. The package did not mention anything about regulatory fees when I purchased it. In fact, another friend of mine purchases a similar item from Fry's (we purchased together the same day from one Fry's shop in City of Industry, CA). Now, he is getting Ooma Core service and don't have to pay taxes and fees, but I have to pay for it.

So, I called the CSR three times and they kept on saying that nothing could be done. Then I talked with one of the supervisors (Mr. Rolly; he would not give his last name as this is NOT the policy) for nearly an hour. He basically repeated the same thing that once the device gets activated, the records gets erased (which I don't understand as I can see my MAC address online at Ooma) and they cannot do anything.

Mr. Rolly suggested that I look for an older device, and when I mentioned how can a consumer know whether the machine is older or new, he could not come up with an answer. One CSR suggested that I return the device and try another one. However, I have purchased this more than 30-days ago and cannot return it anymore. Mr. Rolly acknowledged that he understood my problem and that I am very unfortunate to have such experience.

It appears that the business practice and customer service at Ooma is subpar to the say the least. I hope someone from Ooma could fix this problem. Lets see if I get some resolution through this post.
#55100 by sfhub
Sun May 09, 2010 4:03 pm
The refurbs often don't have any terms listed. It is just the black box that the hub is packaged in.

Basically what people have found is it is the luck of the draw. Sometimes you get a hub that comes with core. Sometimes you get one that comes with basic. One guess as to why you get one or the other is whether the refurb originally came from a standalone Hub package or a bundled Ooma Core package.
#55101 by sfhub
Sun May 09, 2010 4:05 pm
towhids wrote:When I checked my account last night (05/08/2010) and opted out from my premier service, I was put in Ooma Basic and NOT Ooma Core and that I will be charged taxes and fees monthly.

If you were able to opt out of Premier, then you likely never had the Ooma Core service level. For the Ooma Core service level you are just given the 60-days of Premier and it automatically opts out at the end. For Ooma Basic, you manually opt out.
#55102 by sfhub
Sun May 09, 2010 4:09 pm
towhids wrote:I have purchased a Oomacore (refurbished) in March from Fry's.

Are you sure you bought an Ooma *Core* (refurbished)? I've never seen an Ooma Core refurbished at Fry's. As far as I've seen, they've only ever sold Ooma Hub (refurbished), both online and in-store. People's experience with the Ooma Hub (refurbished) is it is just the luck of the draw whether they are bundled with Ooma Core service level or Ooma Basic service level.
#55118 by lbmofo
Sun May 09, 2010 8:16 pm
towhids wrote:It appears that the business practice and customer service at Ooma is subpar to the say the least. I hope someone from Ooma could fix this problem. Lets see if I get some resolution through this post.

Quite the opposite. ooma has been great at honoring promises printed on the box. When you bought a refurb, IMO, you signed up for uncertainty. You can't really blame this one on ooma.
#55120 by aacctv
Sun May 09, 2010 8:38 pm
Im Confused!!!!!

I just bought a Ooma Hub at Fry's (refurbished) thinking I wont have to pay monthly phone bill anymore. The only thing im looking for is call waiting and caller id. Do I need to get the premier to get those two features? Also, when I activated my account, I was told that I have to pay a 911 service fee and federal taxes to about $3.60 a month. I want to know if the 911 and the federal taxes the same for everyone or is the fee just for new users only? As of right now, I'm paying $20 a month for my landline with those two features. Can someone tell me if it is worth it to keep the Ooma or not?
#55123 by lbmofo
Sun May 09, 2010 10:39 pm
aacctv wrote:Im Confused!!!!!

I just bought a Ooma Hub at Fry's (refurbished) thinking I wont have to pay monthly phone bill anymore. The only thing im looking for is call waiting and caller id. Do I need to get the premier to get those two features? Also, when I activated my account, I was told that I have to pay a 911 service fee and federal taxes to about $3.60 a month. I want to know if the 911 and the federal taxes the same for everyone or is the fee just for new users only? As of right now, I'm paying $20 a month for my landline with those two features. Can someone tell me if it is worth it to keep the Ooma or not?

Look here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7842#p55122
#55124 by Davesworld
Sun May 09, 2010 10:39 pm
aacctv wrote:Im Confused!!!!!

You're paying 20 dollars a month with no additional taxes and fees?

It depends on when and what you bought. If you bought a non refurbished hub last year or before that, what was on the box is what terms you are bound to. The refurbed units generally do not have the old terms.

As far as caller ID, back when I first signed up in September, the CNAM info was more up to date on incoming calls. This is no longer true in my experience, other numbers I have, have been in the National LIDB/CNAM database for months but only display Unknown and the number when calling either my Hub or Telo but NOT to anyone else with real CNAM/CID dipping such as landline, Comcast voice and some but very few VOIP providers other than VOIP from your cable provider. Caller ID with your landline actually dips into the National LIDB/CNAM database EVERY time a call comes in so it's up to the minute info. Caching LIDB/CNAM info is against the TOS of using these databases so it would be risky for any VOIP provider to try to do that. I have and currently use and are evaluating a few VOIP carriers that do real CNAM dipping but said providers are not as easy to setup as Ooma for the average consumer, they are BYOD plans for the DIYer. Keep in mind that CID only means that the number of the caller is displayed, CNAM is NOT the same thing. Most people think of CID with CNAM when someone refers to CID so there lies the confusion, I was guilty of that myself at one time. Some VOIP carriers CNAM is nothing more than entering phone lists from directories periodically into their database. At close to a penny per LIDB/CNAM dip, Ooma could likely never be able to absorb the near one penny a CNAM dip for EVERY incoming call from every customer. You basically buy a prepaid plan that comes with a device and a marketing promise of no further bills for the service itself but taxes are passed on to the consumer as they come with some exceptions.

To clear confusion on outgoing CIDB/CNAM, your name only needs LIDB/CNAM insertion once AND your provider has to NOT send a privacy flag with your outgoing calls. It's there as long as you have the number once inserted into the national LIDB/CNAM database and have never tried to change it since. It usually costs them 10 dollars to have it inserted as a one time charge so once again Ooma may not want to absorb this cost for everyone unless specifically asked for. Usually only those who pestered them have had this done.

What is really interesting is that I have a ported number that still has the LIDB/CNAM info I had inserted a few years ago when calling anyone that has real CID/CNAM but Ooma to Ooma it shows the goofy last namefirstinitial with no comma in between and not even more than one initial of my first name. It looks like a completely different last name when doing this. It may also be the reason why Ooma rejected my LNP of this number to another provider, the claim is that there is an additional name on the account, one I did not put there of course. The other carrier is still waiting for more info from Ooma so we can see what or who this second name on my account is.

You have to weigh your priorities here. You will get CID but not necessarily up to date CNAM info along with it using Ooma. Also, most modern Phone systems you would plug into your phone port of an Ooma device will display the name of an incoming caller if they are entered into your phone's directory, this will override any CNAM info on incoming or lack of therein.