Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#54121 by ooma-fan
Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:00 am
As a lifetime Premier subscriber with hub, I am considering ooma's offer of upgrading hub to telo.

Being a premier subscribers, all of us have two phone nunbers. It seems the hub/scout might provide more flexibilities in managing primary/secondary numbers than the telo/handset would. Just an example,I can have my secondary number (scout) routed/wired to a whole house, while my primary number connected to my coreless handsets, etc.

For those of you who had hub previously and now have telo, could you please share more of your experience, any pros and cons with telo? I need some helps here as I don’t know if I would put another couple of hundred dollars for the upgrade on top of $700 spent ($250 initial hub/scout, $99 first year of premier and $350 life time).
#54126 by murphy
Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:31 am
On a Telo your second number can only be assigned to one Ooma handset.
They really need to bring the second line out through the line 2 contacts of the Home port.
It is possible to use both numbers by leaving the second number shared. You can force the use of the caller ID for the second number by preceding the called number with **1. Incoming calls on both numbers ring all of the phones.
#54128 by bw1
Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:37 am
ooma-fan wrote:As a lifetime Premier subscriber with hub, I am considering ooma's offer of upgrading hub to telo.

Being a premier subscribers, all of us have two phone nunbers. It seems the hub/scout might provide more flexibilities in managing primary/secondary numbers than the telo/handset would. Just an example,I can have my secondary number (scout) routed/wired to a whole house, while my primary number connected to my coreless handsets, etc.

For those of you who had hub previously and now have telo, could you please share more of your experience, any pros and cons with telo? I need some helps here as I don’t know if I would put another couple of hundred dollars for the upgrade on top of $700 spent ($250 initial hub/scout, $99 first year of premier and $350 life time).

They may eventually come out with a scout-like device for the Telo in the future.

See my other post about the differences: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7695#p54122

That's a lot of money to spend up front for phone service. You've already been using it for a year and perhaps could get a
couple more years of service out of what you have before you upgrade.

You'll need to decide if another couple of hundred dollars is worth it to you.

jesage wrote:My concern is around Taxes on the new equipment that isn't isn't part of the older equipment.

I don't think the taxes/fees change if you upgrade/transfer your current account.
#54143 by coldsteel
Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:52 am
While I understand the need for OOMA to sell more boxes and if they can do it by "preaching to the choir" then its a cheap sale for them. My primary reason to get OOMA was to replace my home phone landline and save money. The OOMA hub and scout did this and did it very well to the tune of $70.00 per month savings, so there is no overwhelming reason to "upgrade" to a Telo, especially after only about five months into my OOMA ownership experience.

Now, if OOMA were offering the Telo as an add-on to replace the scout say for $100.00 - or for the $199.00 EXTENDING my premiere service by another year (who needs international whatsit?) WITHOUT requiring me to drop my hub then maybe I would bite. As it stands now, there is nothing in the upgrade offer that grabs my interest enough to induce me to "buy-in" again when I'm now in living the " I've got OOMA and my phone service is (now) free period"
#54157 by Groundhound
Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:03 am
coldsteel wrote:While I understand the need for OOMA to sell more boxes and if they can do it by "preaching to the choir" then its a cheap sale for them. My primary reason to get OOMA was to replace my home phone landline and save money. The OOMA hub and scout did this and did it very well to the tune of $70.00 per month savings, so there is no overwhelming reason to "upgrade" to a Telo, especially after only about five months into my OOMA ownership experience.

Now, if OOMA were offering the Telo as an add-on to replace the scout say for $100.00 - or for the $199.00 EXTENDING my premiere service by another year (who needs international whatsit?) WITHOUT requiring me to drop my hub then maybe I would bite. As it stands now, there is nothing in the upgrade offer that grabs my interest enough to induce me to "buy-in" again when I'm now in living the " I've got OOMA and my phone service is (now) free period"

Sell a Telo for $100 without removing the service commitment for the old Hub? That would indeed be a sweet deal for the customer - and IMO a certain money loser for Ooma.
#54261 by jtykal
Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:46 am
I have a need for 2 separate wired phone numbers, so I'm sticking with the Hub/Scout combination. The Telo solution of dedicating a handset to a second phone number doesn't do it for me.
#54270 by Groundhound
Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:37 pm
jtykal wrote:I have a need for 2 separate wired phone numbers, so I'm sticking with the Hub/Scout combination. The Telo solution of dedicating a handset to a second phone number doesn't do it for me.

I agree that's the main hardware limitation of the current Telo, if you need to use a wired phone for the Premier Instant Second Line, Telo is not for you.
#54324 by coldsteel
Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:49 pm
Groundhound wrote:
jtykal wrote:I have a need for 2 separate wired phone numbers, so I'm sticking with the Hub/Scout combination. The Telo solution of dedicating a handset to a second phone number doesn't do it for me.

I agree that's the main hardware limitation of the current Telo, if you need to use a wired phone for the Premier Instant Second Line, Telo is not for you.

I need the 'real' second line as well and that was why I proposed the trade in deal Telo + $100.00 for the Scout as it allows us to keep our hubs and second line - yet also gives us an upgrade path to the future without throwing away the benefits from the past. I added about a half a dozen other suggestions for OOMA that I posted on my blog today for OOMA to take the company to the next level - it must have resonated with some folks as its had a couple of hundred hits on it already.
#54352 by murphy
Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:53 am
If you need two hard wired lines now, you can do it with two Telo bases.