Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#49431 by coldsteel
Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:47 am
If you are having problems with OOMA staying connected to the internet you might want to check your ISP's DNS. The symptom essentially is that the OOMA tab (I have a hub and scout - don't know if there is a similar indicator for internet connectivity on the telo) glows red, indicating no internet connectivity at times but other internet devices (TIVO, web browsing etc) seem to be okay. I wrote this up on my blog http://winstonlawrence.com/notebook/2010/ooma-and-the-internet-connection-state/ and OOMA has been rock steady since I changed my DNS from the default Verizon DNS. Network packet monitoring showed that Verizon DNS was not keeping up with requests in a timely manner therebye causing problems for OOMA. That was the fix -- more details are in my blog post if you want.
Last edited by coldsteel on Fri May 14, 2010 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
#49434 by byersthja
Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:55 am
I can recommend OpenDNS as well. I have Verizon FiOS and switched to OpenDNS servers a couple of years ago. I have had my Ooma Hub connected behind the Verizon Actiontec router since October 2009 and it has been rock solid. I never thought that some of the issues folks in the forums are having would have to do with DNS servers, but it is certainly can't hurt to switch from your default ISP's DNS servers to OpenDNS. Just go to opendns.org to find the server information you'll need to enter into your router.