Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#49485 by highq
Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:31 pm
murphy wrote:You must connect a computer to the home port of the Telo to access setup.

That's a bit disingenuous, murphy.
It is surely necessary, but it is hardly sufficient. ;)
#49502 by yogeshvara
Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:02 pm
well it is a catch 22 since my computer is hooked up to the internet through the ethernet port and that is the only ethernet port. If I connect the telo to it the computer won't be online and won't be able to access the set up page. Darn it! Am I missing something?
#49507 by murphy
Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:29 pm
highq wrote:
murphy wrote:You must connect a computer to the home port of the Telo to access setup.

That's a bit disingenuous, murphy.
It is surely necessary, but it is hardly sufficient. ;)

It is completely sufficient. The Telo doesn't have to be connected to anything else for that to work.
#49538 by southsound
Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:58 pm
Murphy is totally correct - as usual. But to clarify for the OP, the site setup.ooma.com is hosted from a webserver that exists in the Telo. That is why you need to connect to the Telo to access the site. After you have accessed it from the Home Network port you can do some things to make it accessable from other computers when it is placed after the router. We can help you with that. But don't expect to access the page from the Internet when it is served up by the Telo.
#49544 by yogeshvara
Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:05 am
Ok, I get it now and I've connected the telo to the computer. and entered the address both ways and still get page not found. I'm guessing my computer is set to get its IP via DHCP, since I have road runner and don't have static IP, but I don't know how to check this.
I don't think I'm using openDNS since I never set it up.
Interestingly, just for my amusement and to see if I'd learn something, I connected the ethernet from the computer to the to internet port on the telo and got a different error on explorer. Instead of saying server not found it declared that I was offline. I'm guessing this means when connected to the home port the computer recognizes the telo is there but still can't open the page. Does this mean my telo is fried?

murphy wrote:
yogeshvara wrote:I'd like to do this but neither of those links is working for me right now. Can you check to see if they moved the location of this?

Is your computer connected to the Home port of the Telo?
Is your computer set to get it's IP address via DHCP?
If you are configured to use OpenDNS, disable it.
#49564 by dtalwar
Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:37 am
Another thing to make sure when your computer is connected to the Home port of Telo is that your computer is not connected to any other network (wired or wireless).
#49582 by highq
Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:32 am
The Telo is a DHCP server, and will dole out IP addresses through the Home port.

A computer might have a fixed IP address, or be getting one from another DHCP server. Unless that address happens to be on the subnet used by the telo (172.27.35.xxx by default), and unless the computer is using 172.27.35.1 as its nameserver, then it won't readily connect to "setup.ooma.com".

No DNS server out there on the Internet will resolve "setup.ooma.com". Only the Telo itself, acting as a nameserver as part of its DHCP services on that Home port, knows to resolve "setup.ooma.com" to "172.27.35.1".
#49614 by richalger
Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:11 pm
I cannot see how to create a new thread so I am replying to this one.

When I go to http://setup.ooma.com it is showing the html source in the inner frame instead of displaying the page normally. It shows the code of the page rather than rendered html.

Has anyone else had this issue. We just got our telo on 3/5/2010.
#49621 by coldsteel
Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:08 pm
Okay, now we know that the TELO didn't actually take your DSL/CABLE modem out and you've moved it to a position in your network configuration where it is just a network client and not providing routing/forwarding services to anything else.

Have you called OOMA support? I know when I initially had some connectivity problems the support person had me do a 'factory reset' which surprisingly corrected the problems so again have you talked to support and done basic tests and reset functions on the Telo? You may have to go through support anyway if the unit is defective to arrange an RMA/replacement.