Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#44414 by sputicus
Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:05 am
Brand new Ooma user here.

Installation went well, the only thing I can't figure out is why you would connect your live landline to the Ooma. Incoming calls to the landline do not get picked up by the ooma, nor do calls go out on the landline. I assume the only reason to do it is to allow 911 calls to go over the landline, which I don't want to test because I don't want to call 911 unnecessarily.

I have my Qwest phone forwarded to my ooma line via *72, and calls to both my temporary Ooma number and landline go to the Ooma. After I assure myself the ooma is working well, I will initiate the number port.

My question for this post is: After I port my number will my temporary Ooma number go away, or will calls to it still go to my Ooma? Can I keep the number somehow if I decide I like it? Do I need Premier to accomplish this, or can i just pay a fee to add an extra number?

Thanks in advance. -- dave
#44420 by Aveamantium
Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:45 am
If you have premier, once your number ports that number will become your primary number and your temporary number will become your second number. If you let premier expire you'll lose the second number and I don't believe there is an a la carte option for just the second line?
#44482 by amoney
Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:36 pm
Conecting Ooma to your landline is for those that want to keep there landline (for various reasons). Some people take advantage of their home wiring for phone extensions (you need to disconnect the phone box outside).

As for the PORT, its not garranteed that the technician will move the temp Ooma number to your second line. But apparantly if they dont, you can followup with Ooma to reinstate the number as your second line (60 day window - so I have read).