Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#43748 by sbunning
Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:42 pm
I REALLY want Ooma to work for us but we have had no such luck.

We activated it on Thursday and have not been able to use but maybe a handful of times.

It is connected to the wall port.

We have been able to make a few out going calls. Incoming calls are static. Voicemail is pure static. No caller id, but it is because of the land line right? Some times it make our internet shut off then comes back on. Not all the time. Sometimes the line stays red after trying to use it. Sometime the the logo flashes to red after trying to use it.

I have contacted CS and they did a test call which of course worked so they said everything was fine but that was the last one that worked.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix it? I would really appreciate any help.

Thank You,

Stefanie
#43762 by murphy
Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:17 pm
Hub or Telo?
DSL, cable, FIOS?
Ooma in front of or behind router?
#43766 by sbunning
Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:44 pm
Telo

Qwest 7 Mbps downstream/up to 896 Kbps upstream that is the fastest offered in our area

I am not sure if it is in front or behind

Stefanie
#43783 by murphy
Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:58 pm
Is Quest a DSL based ISP?
Is the Telo connected to the modem or is the router connected to the modem?
Did you integrate your land line?
#43806 by sbunning
Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:18 pm
murphy wrote:Is Quest a DSL based ISP? Yes
Is the Telo connected to the modem or is the router connected to the modem? Telo to modem. Our modem woul not work with with out being connected to the land line. So both the Telo and modem are connected to the land line
Did you integrate your land line? yes
#43809 by amoney
Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:29 pm
To simplify troubleshooting.

Connect ONLY the Telo to the Quest box. Attached a known working phone to the Telo and see what the call quality is like.

Also do a speed test with and without the Telo connected. I prefer www.speakeasy.net free test to check your internet speed for any issues.

When your disconnecting and connecting everything make sure you turn everything off and reboot everything in order modem first then turn on the next device. etc.
#43812 by amoney
Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:32 pm
sbunning wrote:
Is the Telo connected to the modem or is the router connected to the modem? Telo to modem. Our modem woul not work with with out being connected to the land line. So both the Telo and modem are connected to the land line

... Land line integration! I dont recall if you need a filter for the Telo connected to the landline??

I believe you can check call quality outgoing still with my suggestion above.
#43850 by southsound
Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:44 pm
sbunning wrote:

The problem is that you need to keep the Telo from bringing down your DSL signal by loading it down. A microfilter like is used with a standard telephone will help. Place it in the line that goes from the wall to your Telo's wall jack.

You should not have the phone port on the Telo connected to anything except a cordless base station or corded phone unless you are able to do so over a separate pair (clean of the DSL and landline signals). I normally recommend against landline integration as it is such a pain and negates some of the Telo's features.
#43881 by sbunning
Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:26 am
amoney wrote:To simplify troubleshooting.

Connect ONLY the Telo to the Quest box. Attached a known working phone to the Telo and see what the call quality is like.

Also do a speed test with and without the Telo connected. I prefer http://www.speakeasy.net free test to check your internet speed for any issues.

When your disconnecting and connecting everything make sure you turn everything off and reboot everything in order modem first then turn on the next device. etc.

Okay. Telo to wall port and to cordless phone call quality was fine. I called the land line using my cell phone. No static, humming or ticking.

Speed test with just modem connected.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 6161 kbps (770.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 758 kbps (94.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

How can I get it to go faster? We are paying for connection speeds up to 7 Mpbs downstream/up to 896 Kbps upstream.
Last edited by sbunning on Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
#43882 by sbunning
Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:44 am
southsound wrote:
sbunning wrote:

The problem is that you need to keep the Telo from bringing down your DSL signal by loading it down. A microfilter like is used with a standard telephone will help. Place it in the line that goes from the wall to your Telo's wall jack.

You should not have the phone port on the Telo connected to anything except a cordless base station or corded phone unless you are able to do so over a separate pair (clean of the DSL and landline signals). I normally recommend against landline integration as it is such a pain and negates some of the Telo's features.

The phone filter is working!!! :D :D

The phone integration. Can that be changed now? Or just leave it since the filter is working?

If it continues to work the way it is now I will probably port our number over. How will I need to set it up then? Would I just disconnect the Telo from the wall port?

All of you have bee SO helpful. Thank You! I was becoming very frustrated with it.