Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#43438 by The Talker
Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:14 pm
I too still have a dial tone after my port was completed. Verizon support told me it would take a few days to 'fall out of the system'. Of course the support staff had to try to up sell me while I was on the phone discussing other matters!
#43441 by murphy
Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:23 pm
loveitch wrote:canceled my land line but im still getting verizon on my line. verizon wont help

Go to the box on the outside wall of your house and unplug the phone connections that you will find there.
Put a warning tag on them saying that they are not to be reconnected.
#43500 by murphy
Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:59 am
loveitch wrote:if i dissconect the green box outside will that dissconect my dsl?

Yes it will.
You need to do some rewiring in the house so that the DSL signal only goes to your DSL modem and not to any of the other jacks in the house.
#43927 by The Talker
Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:09 pm
I'm a wee bit confused now. I ported and my Verizon phone line has Verizon has been canceled. I still have a dial tone to my hard line phone. When picking up the handset, the nice lady voice says call can not be dialed from your calling area. Obviously dialing out is now impossible. I called Verizon from my Ooma Voip to verify canceling of my account with them and asked why I still have a dial tone to that line. That *not so nice and not so knowledgeable Lady* said I have to contact my new phone provider. I explained it's a Voip service and she didn't seem to know what I was talking about.Perhaps I don't know what I am talking about. I would think since my number is now through the Ooma Voip (DSL) the hard line dial tone would go away. Am I just just Koo-Coo and missing something here??

I really need those 8x10 glossy pictures with a paragraph on the back of each one describing of how to rewire that little box outside to get a ring on my other hard lines house phones.

My set up in this office is an extention wired line the phone company put in years ago. Using a splitter doesn't provide a ring to the other plugs. I'm so cornfused!
#43935 by Groundhound
Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:32 pm
The Talker wrote:My set up in this office is an extention wired line the phone company put in years ago. Using a splitter doesn't provide a ring to the other plugs. I'm so cornfused!

Perhaps the DSL is split outside and the jack in your office is only for DSL - if so that's a good thing IMO. Look where your telephone demarc box is and see if there is a second box mounted nearby (may be labled DSL) - if so then your DSL is probably split there.

If you open the cover of the demarc box you should see at least one short phone cord plugged into a modular jack for "line 1". Try and unplug it - if your DSL goes down plug it back in - if not leave it unplugged. If your DSL is not affected by disconnecting that plug, then open the wall plate in your office and see if there are un-connected wires coiled up inside. If so you may be able to put a duplex jack in to extend dialtone to your other jacks.
#43937 by The Talker
Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:42 pm
The office extension line was for a line two years ago. Line two been disconnected years ago also but the wiring remained. There *were* two phone jack receptacles in this office. I just removed the line two receptacle and connected a yellow and black wire from it to black and yellow posts on the first receptacle box in the series.

There is no extra box outside. I can take a picture if that helps. I'm big on the pictures!
#43941 by Groundhound
Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:56 pm
The Talker wrote:I am wondering why there is still that dial tone and message when Verizon has been canceled. Maybe it's canceled but not yet disconnected.

Some telcos keep dialtone on the line that will only allow calls to order new service, or sometimes 911.