Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#43338 by skurschat
Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:16 am
I got this system so I could forward my calls to my (800) number. Ooma told me that I could forward my calls if I bought the Premier package........SO... I bought the Ooma box, got premier, Ported my number..........and low and behold. Now they tell me it is impossible to forward to an (800) or toll free number. I use a answer service with an 800 number.... so the system is completely useless to me.

Thanks Ooma for the wasted time, money, and effort.
#43553 by southsound
Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:00 pm
I would assume that the answering service probably has a regular number as well that could receive the calls and since you are able to forward a call to anywhere in the US, it would not cost you anything and would cost the answering service less as well. You could call the service and check with a supervisor to see if this is possible.

That would still leave you with another problem that will still be there for a short time. Right now, you need to dial a 1 to accept a forwarded call. I doubt if your answering service would be willing to do that. ooma has been working on the issue and I believe that it may be a configurable option in the near future (guessing 1-2 months) but right now, it is a requirement to accept the call.
#43669 by drtrech
Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:47 pm
I'm loving Ooma so far, but I understand the OP's frustration.

Regardless of the reasons for not being able to forward to an 800 number, I'm finding an ever-increasing frustration and disgust with restrictions that appear to be arbitrary.

And even though the workaround seems quite reasonable, my hackles rise at the notion that I need a workaround to do something is arbitrarily restricted.

Is it really arbitrary? That would be up to Ooma to explain.
#43689 by ggilman
Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:11 pm
You know, I could have sworn I had my fax line forwarded to an e-fax type 800 line for a while. Technically 877 I think, but still toll free. Had to use 'call forward on internet outage' to get around the press-1 thing but it worked fine.