Basically, I have no access to the secondary number at this point in time (all calls to this number go to a canned message "The person you have called cannot be reached...". I have described by set-up and problems below. Any assistance would be welcome.
1. I have a cable modem connected to a wireless hub connected to the Ooma hub. This is slightly different from the Ooma documentation schematics that had the Ooma hub after the cable modem and before the wireless hub. However, when I tried the recommended configuration, I could not access the internet. I don’t know if there was an IP conflict or some other problem. But it made sense to have it after the managed wireless router so I put it there with my other network devices and computers.
2. From the hub, I am going from the hub’s “Phone” jack to the phone network via a RJ-11 jack. I have already discontinued my land line and ported the number over to Ooma. Originally, I had some problems with this until I disconnected the land line in the terminal box outside of the house. Now all phones in the house work off the primary phone number. I can receive calls and I can call out as well as access voice mail.
3. I then registered for Premier service and arranged for a secondary phone number. I then went to MyOoma and went to Preferences/Phone number and configured a Scout decice. Here was one of my first problems. The Scout has a 12 digit serial number with a short, six digit version (the last 6 digits) in the lower left corner of the backside of the Scout. However, the device configuration only allowed for a 5 digit serial number. I eventually used teh last 5 digits (on the recommendation of the Ooma phone support person).
4. Next, I assigned the Scout to the secondary phone number. It shows up in the preferences as such.
5. Here, I may have messed up something. I also configured a Hub device and tried to assign the primary phone number to this. The Ooma configuration screen appears to not allow this as it seems that the primary number must be on a shared device??? I tried to delete this newly configured Hub device, but it will not delete. Eventually, I assigned the secondary phone number to the Scout (configured for two long rings), the primary phone number to the shared device (configured for three short rings) and no telephone number is assigned to the hub I configured.
6. Finally, I connected the “Wall” jack on the hub to the “Wall” jack on the Scout. I then connected a telephone to the “Phone” port on the Scout. I get a blue light on the Scout tab. I get the Ooma dial tone and can call out from the telephone hooked to the Scout.
I call the primary number and all phones ring with three short rings (including the one connected to the Scout). If I don’t answer, I get to the voicemail message I recorded.
I call the secondary number and I get different behaviors. Earlier (when I was working with southsound) I got a similar behavior as the primary number i.e. all phones in the house rang including the phone hooked to the Scout. However, the phones rang with two long rings (instead of the three short rings that the primary number invoked).
Right now though - if I call it the secondary number - I get a canned message that begins “The person you have called cannot take your message right now…”. I had tried to configure call forwarding earlier (I was hoping for a call from tech support) and wonder if I mucked things up when I did this. I have turned off the call forwarding.
1. Make sure that the envelope button is not lit up on the scout. If it is on, the Do Not Disturb feature is enabled. To turn it off, simply press and hold the envelope button for 1-2 seconds. Then make a test call.
2. If first step doesn't work, you might need to call tech support and have the serial of the scout corrected on their end.
If I pick-up the phone on the Scout and press the play button on the Scout, I come to the VM for the hub (i.e. when I check the VM greeting , it is the one I recorder for the hub. It also has the saved messages on the hub). I don't know if this anwsers your question or indicates a problem.
The envelope button is not lit. As for tech support, I have had issues so far in getting the issue escalated to the upper levels (the phone support for technical issues is very limited).
Thanks for the assistance.
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx
It was indeed an incorrectly printed serial number on the Scout. BobbieB got me the correct number and the Scout is working. I'm still a bit confused about some of the Scout configuration, but I will start a new thread if I cannot figure it out.
Thanks for the help
I too had the same exact issue on my line two and after reading this post I called support and basically read them the solution. They initially said that the serial number on the scout was correct but after troubleshooting a few other things I kept coming back to this post and the incorrect serial number issue. Finally after sounding like a broken record they did look a little deeper and the serial number printed on the scout was indeed wrong. They changed it in the system and everything works perfectly now.