Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#34179 by wshafiq
Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:36 am
I recently bough a SIP phone after my ooma hub failed after about a year of service. My initial impressions are that it works better than ooma in almost every aspect. The call quality is excellent and the service is reliable (so far). It costs only a fraction compared to ooma device. You only need to spend about $50 for a SIP device and have the freedom to choose any service provider. With ooma hub/telo you are tied to ooma and can't use it with a different service provider. Some SIP phone sets even allow you to configure 6 or more provider at the same time. So you can use one for incoming call and another provider for outgoing calls.

I am currently using it with Gizmo5 and GoogleVoice. If I am ever unhappy with their service, I can easily switch without shelling out $$$ for a new device. Anyone exploring for options should seriously consider SIP over ooma.
#34180 by southsound
Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:49 am
I can understand your anger and disapointment because your ooma hub failed. But you had over a year of great service. Your low post count over the period of ownership shows you have not been having problems until now. And your post below confirms your experience during that time:
wshafiq wrote:I having been using Ooma for over a year and the service has been exceptional, until today. My device seems to have developed a problem.

So while I can see you are unhappy, it is only after your hub failed. Products of any sort have a limited lifespan. For every device that works for 10 years, there is another of the same product that fails after 1 year. Most people will have an experience somewhere between the two. Please try to be fair in your comments to prospective users. It is just the right thing to do.
#34182 by costanzo98031
Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:58 am
wshafiq wrote:Anyone exploring for options should seriously consider SIP over ooma.

I have explored and used several different phone systems at my home including SIP. The thing that brought me to ooma was their feature set and handset's ability to use two lines. One thing important to me is having multiple phones ring within our house. I have a teenage daughter that soon will be on it all the time.

When using Vonage and Skype (PC Less) I found there were many draw backs to using their technology. For example, with Skype their voicemail system just sucked and they didn't have a product that allowed multiple phones to ring at once. With Vonage there were too many issues, and a recent issue with their customer service department led me to leave them for good.

I deployed a SIP based system at work (Allworx) and love the sound quality, features, but I think it would be overkill for a house. Yes, there are SIP accounts you can pay for that will allow you to use various phones and save money, but there are again drawbacks. Ooma is a sold company and can be found in main stores, such as Best Buy, Costco, etc... The other concern with SIP, is in order to use it each device needs to setup with a unique SIP account. Without a phone system or service, it would be complicated to have the phones ring have features you come to find in services such as ooma.

One thing to keep in mind, tech changes all the time. I am sure in a few years the landscape will change and there will be some new gadget to use to place calls.
#34183 by wshafiq
Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:09 am
southsound wrote:I can understand your anger and disapointment because your ooma hub failed.

No I am not angry, just a little disappointed :)

Yes, the service really was exceptional. I wish I never had to deal with the customer service. Anyway this post is about options. Fortunately, I found a perfect replacement for home phone service. I know SIP may not work well for everyone, but for basic set of features with free incoming/outgoing calls, it is a pretty sweet option.