Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#24098 by robtcody
Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:53 am
I see in "Phone Number Preferences" that if I click my number, a popup will display that allows me to associate the number to a device and assign a ring pattern. I also see the "Caller-ID Name" that I originally assigned to the number (but I'm not allowed to change it).

I find this "Caller-ID Name" to be meaningless. In the 10-weeks I've been with ooma, my caller id has always come as my calling City and state on both line 1 and 2. e.g. "Bridgeport, CT"

Yet the Caller ID listed in the "Phone Number Preferences" indicates something completely different. i.e. 'My name' for one and 'My Fax' for the other.

I was able to correct my first line to something similar to what is listed on "Phone Number Preferences". I did this by calling tech support and they escalating it to second level. Second level had it fixed in a day, but "Phone Number Preferences" still lists my original setting; not what it actually is today.

So here are my questions:

1) What purpose is the Caller-ID Name" displayed in the "Phone Number Preferences" page when there is no relationship between this and what is actually displayed to people I call?

2) Is calling level-2 support the only way to adjust/set my "real" caller id?
#24104 by hpepper
Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:50 am
I think the preferences is more for reference - what you call it. Yes, you have to call support to correct Caller ID. You, as a subscriber cannot change the name displayed on a call.

Outbound caller ID works with a database of names. In most cases, only the calling number is sent to the carrier, then the carrier database does a look-up of the name and displays it. Only Ooma can change it. Usually it takes a few days for all the carrier databases to update with that information.
#24114 by Leeway
Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:49 am
May I add that if you ported your phone number it takes awhile for your name to appear in the Caller-ID.

I ported my number and my name did not show up until after the porting was complete and a few days added behind that completion.
#24115 by robtcody
Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:50 am
If that is true (which I suspect you are right), then that needs to be corrected in the "Phone Number Preferences -- Caller-ID Name" field. It should either state a disclaimer such as:

The Caller-ID displayed here is what the customer originally requested.
However, this may not necessarily be what is displayed on the receiving handset.

Or ooma should link this field to the realtime database so it displays the actually Caller-ID.

Thanks for your input!
#24119 by murphy
Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:59 am
Every land line carrier has their own database of phone numbers. They update "their" database whenever they feel like it. Ooma can't force a carrier to update their database. All calls placed on Ooma, if not going to another Ooma number, have to go through a land line carrier or a cell phone carrier to be completed. It's a stupidly designed system but we are stuck with it.