Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#105908 by pippy
Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:02 pm
The light went to blue so I tried making a call and got the same freaky "commercial?"
#105909 by thunderbird
Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:10 pm
pippy wrote:The light went to blue so I tried making a call and got the same freaky "commercial?"

So you hear a "recorded commercial" when you call your Ooma number using your cell phone?

I'd try another phone connected to your Ooma Telo Phone port.

But if that doesn't work, your Ooma Telo may defective.

If your Ooma Telo is defective and within the one year warranty period, Ooma will send a replacement Ooma Telo shipping perpaid. They will also send a prepaid shipping label to ship the defective Ooma Telo back.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Hours: Weekdays 7am-7pm PT, Weekends 8am-5pm PT
#105910 by lbmofo
Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:14 pm
pippy wrote:The light went to blue so I tried making a call and got the same freaky "commercial?"

By any chance, are you pressing the play button before picking up the phone?
Have you tried making calls to more than 1 number?
Try a Florida Costco recorded phone message system. (239) 415-3806, dial 1 239 415 3806 and see if you get there. Calls to all US numbers are free.
#105911 by pippy
Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:22 pm
Thunderbird, I am using my regular house phone not my cell. And I received my ooma as a gift Christmas 2011....go figure, right.
#105912 by pippy
Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:30 pm
ibmofo, I am not touching any other buttons other than picking up the phone and dialing. I have tried other numbers. everything is different.....some ring a couple of times, others don't do anything. I've had people call and their # shows on my caller ID...my phone rings...I pick up and all I get is oomas "dial tone". Call them back on my cell and they say they get nothing when they call me....no busy, no anything. I NEED a reliable phone. My husband just passed away, and I need the connection to the outside world. So hopefully you'll understand where I'm coming from.
OK...just called the Costco number and lo and behold...it worked! So now what?
#105913 by thunderbird
Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:20 pm
pippy wrote:Thunderbird, I am using my regular house phone not my cell. And I received my ooma as a gift Christmas 2011....go figure, right.

Maybe an Ooma Telo factory Reset will help.

Factory Reset Ooma Telo - Old Alternate Manual Procedure
1. Remove power from the Ooma Telo.
2. Repower the Ooma Telo.
3. Line 1 & Line 2 lights come on.
4. Line 1 & Line 2 lights go out and the Trash and Envelope lights come on for a very short period of time.
5. The Trash & Envelope lights go out and the bottom row (runway lights) starts scanning to the right. (sequence above may be slightly different with later firmware versions)
6. When the scanning stops, the Ooma symbol will began flashing Red.
7. Press the Trash button, then the bottom row Stop button (small square button).
8. Hold both the Trash and Stop buttons pressed until told to release.
9. The Ooma symbol will alternately blink Red and Blue.
10. The Ooma symbol will turn solid Red.
11. Release the Stop and Trash buttons.
12. Wait for a short period of time. The Ooma Telo will cycle back into a reboot.
13. After a successful Factory Reset, all Ooma Setup settings will be Factory.

If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. You may want to reset MAC address to Use Built In, reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle. Ooma Telo handsets will have to be re-registered.
Last edited by thunderbird on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
#105915 by lbmofo
Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:20 pm
pippy, one thing to try... turn on your 10-digit dialing.

The way you do that is by going here: https://my.ooma.com/system

Check "Enable 10-digit dialing" and then click on "Save" button. Wait 5 minutes for it to take.

What 10-digit dialing does:

10-digit dialing lets you make long-distance calls without dialing the initial 1, just like on your cell phone.

This can introduce a short delay if you dial 7 digits for local calls (dialing without the area code). Press # after you dial to put the call through immediately.
#106003 by lcurrens
Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Recently I have been having very bad behavior of the phone. I keep rebooting it but it doesn't help. Some calls work fine, others it will ring once (either an outgoing or incoming call) and then nothing - no dial tone, no voice, just silence.

I am really unhappy with it. I've had it for about a year and it has worked pretty well up until recently.
#106006 by thunderbird
Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:54 pm
lcurrens wrote:Recently I have been having very bad behavior of the phone. I keep rebooting it but it doesn't help. Some calls work fine, others it will ring once (either an outgoing or incoming call) and then nothing - no dial tone, no voice, just silence.

I am really unhappy with it. I've had it for about a year and it has worked pretty well up until recently.

The three following procedures should find or correct your problems.

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________

If you haven't do this, set MAC address to Use Built IN in Ooma Setup. Procedure follows:

To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause dropped calls, garbled voice, and other problems, by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma or Modem/router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem (or Modem/Router), your Router (skip to Ooma Device if have Modem/Router) and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem (or Modem/Router). When the Modem is done booting repower your Router (skip to Ooma Device if have Modem/Router). When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

Some thing else to try:
Factory Reset Ooma Telo - Old Alternate Manual Procedure
1. Remove power from the Ooma Telo.
2. Repower the Ooma Telo.
3. Line 1 & Line 2 lights come on.
4. Line 1 & Line 2 lights go out and the Trash and Envelope lights come on for a very short period of time.
5. The Trash & Envelope lights go out and the bottom row (runway lights) starts scanning to the right. (sequence above may be slightly different with later firmware versions)
6. When the scanning stops, the Ooma symbol will began flashing Red.
7. Press the Trash button, then the bottom row Stop button (small square button).
8. Hold both the Trash and Stop buttons pressed until told to release.
9. The Ooma symbol will alternately blink Red and Blue.
10. The Ooma symbol will turn solid Red.
11. Release the Stop and Trash buttons.
12. Wait for a short period of time. The Ooma Telo will cycle back into a reboot.
13. After a successful Factory Reset, all Ooma Setup settings will be Factory.

If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. You may want to reset MAC address to Use Built In, reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle. Ooma Telo handsets will have to be re-registered.
#106012 by Tom
Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:29 pm
pippy wrote:OK, so this is freaky....I did everything you told me to do Thunderbird. Internet is fine. So I tried to make a call with ooma and here's what happened. The phone rang twice then it sounded like nothing happened and I was about to hang up and I could hear what sounded like a advertisement on the tv. Hard to understand, but it was loud. So needless to say, my phone call did not make it.

I reviewed the logs for this account and lbmofo made the right suggestion to enable 10-digit dialing. Pippy has a 315 number. At http://www.nanpa.com/nas/public/npa_que ... eportModel you can see how landlines in this area can't dial 10 digits. You can only dial 7 or 11 digits. If you dial 10 digits, only the first 7 will be accepted and the call will either not complete or you reach the wrong party.

In case of non-completion you will hear the 'your call cannot be completed' recording. We have a bug open to add to this recording how to enable 10-digit dialing. Because Ooma will always emulate landline dialing unless you override this by enabling 10-digit dialing.

But when having trouble even more simple is to just dial 11 digits. Assuming the problem is just with getting the right digits to the carrier, then dialing 11 digits will always work.

However if you're used to dialing 10 digits then enable 10-digit dialing. Once enabled just dial 10 digits for any number (unless you want to remember to dial # after dialing a 7-digit number to speed up call placement).

In general, when porting your landline number to Ooma, you can dial the same number of digits on your Ooma as you did on your landline. But remember 11 digits will always work, assuming there's no other non-dialing related problem.