Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#91432 by bigjohn
Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:38 pm
I personally WILL NOT “refer a friend or family” to Ooma because I do not want them to be unable to reach me when they call.

I am a current Ooma Subscriber. I have two Ooma telo systems in my home and both suffer from the same technical issue that must be addressed and corrected. I have the Premier choice and have chosen Call Forwarding Multi-Ring to my mobile telephone number. This allows me to take calls to my primary telephone number and receive them either in my home or when I am away from my home.

On many occasions, I have received calls from callers who either use the Ooma system and/or other VOIP systems and they have been unable to reach me when I am away from home because their calls were not forwarded to my mobile number. Your customer service person on your hotline 18887116662 told me that other callers using Ooma would NOT have their calls forwarded to a second number because the system was unable to do this. I am presuming this is a failing for all callers using VOIP systems (Yahoo Messenger, Skype, etc).

This means that the more successful Ooma is in getting subscribers, the less useful your system becomes to its users. This is a plan for failure….. Ooma really needs to address this issue and find a successful workaround fix.
#91433 by lbmofo
Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:24 pm
Call forward doesn't work only if the call comes from another Ooma number. If other VoIP caller is calling, call forwarding & multi-ring do work without a problem.

In any case, this limitation is something Ooma should fix in the future but I've never had issues with it even though I have 25 of my close friends and family using Ooma.

If I have call forward setup and a call happens to be from an Ooma user, the call would ring at home and go into VM if no one picks up, if VM is left, I get it right away on my mobile device.
#91434 by bigjohn
Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:51 pm
IBMOFO - I obviously have different needs and different priorities than do you.
Call forwarding to my mobile line IS VERY IMPORTANT to me!
We apparently have very different standards about what is acceptable.

Also, you are incorrect that it is ONLY other Ooma users who are affected. I have had two friends using Yahoo Messenger (PC to phone) who experienced the same issue. So I suspect many VOIP users have the same issue.

At a very minimum, it should have been disclosed to me before my signup on the Ooma website.
I can think of no reason a company would allow a feature to be disabled amoung its own users.
It is even more of a stretch to understand why they would let it last several years before fixing it.

This is NOT a good sign from a company that wants to grow its user base and get referrals from users.
#91435 by lbmofo
Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:58 pm
I don't disagree that Ooma should fix it.

However, I doubt everyone you know (that you can recommend Ooma to) would have the same "must forward" requirement so why deprive them from saving $? For all you know, they might be perfectly fine with Ooma basic.

In the meantime, you have a workaround. Troublesome to setup at first but will work.

Port your main number to Google Voice (have to port to a mobile carrier first then to Google) then you can setup multiring or forward there.
#91436 by lbmofo
Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:02 pm
bigjohn wrote:Also, you are incorrect that it is ONLY other Ooma users who are affected. I have had two friends using Yahoo Messenger (PC to phone) who experienced the same issue. So I suspect many VOIP users have the same issue

Also, I seriously doubt that forward doesn't work if calls are coming from outside Ooma (VoIP or not). If it didn't work, something else must have gone on. I just tested Ooma call forward/multi-ring with Google Voice (can't be more VoIP than that if there is such a thang :) ) and it works like a champ. Not sure what Yahoo sends out as far as callerid but you might be doing anonymous call block on the calls. Ooma mods, please correct me if I am wrong. This issue is related to Ooma's infrastructure limitations so outside calls should be forwarded fine.
#91461 by bigjohn
Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:44 am
IBMOFO - According to classic information theory "any failure to communicate is the fault of the sender". So I will assume I have not communicated well with my post. You obviously do not understand my unwillingness to recommend Ooma to my friends and family. Let me try once again.

At least 65% of my incoming calls are from my friends and family. Why would I ever recommend a telephone system to them that significantly reduces their ability to reach me when they call me ??

I am really not interested in difficult workarounds or sending my calls through a mobile carrier. If I was able to do that effeciently and effectively I would not have either Ooma or a landline in the first place. I would simply rely on my mobile carrier.

This has apparently been a long time issue with Ooma according to all of the reviews I have read.
1) Why has this not been fixed before ?
2) Why is it not disclosed on the Ooma web site to potential new customers ?

I think these are fair questions and should be addressed by Ooma not their fanboys.
#91467 by lbmofo
Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:21 pm
bigjohn wrote:IBMOFO - According to classic information theory "any failure to communicate is the fault of the sender". So I will assume I have not communicated well with my post. You obviously do not understand my unwillingness to recommend Ooma to my friends and family. Let me try once again.

At least 65% of my incoming calls are from my friends and family. Why would I ever recommend a telephone system to them that significantly reduces their ability to reach me when they call me ??

I understand why you are unwilling to recommend Ooma to your friends and family. You think their ability to reach you on your cell, when calling your home, is more important to them than saving money. I disagree with your thinking however. But they are your friends and family so it is your call.

bigjohn wrote:I am really not interested in difficult workarounds or sending my calls through a mobile carrier. If I was able to do that effeciently and effectively I would not have either Ooma or a landline in the first place. I would simply rely on my mobile carrier.

The workaround I mentioned doesn't involve routing calls via mobile carrier. It just involves Google Voice. However, in order to port your number over to Google, you need to port over to a wireless carrier first (Google Voice only allows porting from a wireless carrier). Takes about 24 hours and $20; not sure how long porting from Ooma to a wireless carrier takes, maybe a few days.

bigjohn wrote:This has apparently been a long time issue with Ooma according to all of the reviews I have read.
1) Why has this not been fixed before ?
2) Why is it not disclosed on the Ooma web site to potential new customers?

I think these are fair questions and should be addressed by Ooma not their fanboys.

Nice comment at the end; coming from you, I am not surprised.....
This is a user forum so Ooma may not respond at all. In any case, I can share the following:

lbmofo wrote:Currently, call forwarding, multi-ring, anonymous call block, blacklist do not work if call is coming from another Ooma.

Because of infrastructure limitations, Ooma to Ooma calls don't trigger these functions. I heard that Ooma is working to fix these limitations by 1st Qtr of this year; not sure if still on schedule.
#91470 by bigjohn
Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:32 pm
Hello IBMOBO, I wish to retract the "fanboy" comment. Your attempts to answer my comment were appreciated.
I have past experience with product forums which are "sniped" by company employees paid to minimize customer problems and avoid solutions. That is my burden to bear and has nothing to do with your comments.

From my perspective, the only reason to have a "Forum" for technology products is to elicit the kinds of problems and suggestions that come from customer experience. I am now invested in two Ooma systems in my home for about $200 and a fair amount of my own time in setup. So, I have a vested interest in Ooma being successful in the marketplace and being around for a couple more years.

Having "infrastructure limitations" does not excuse:
1) Having this problem for several years without fixing it.
2) Disclosing it as a potential problem to potential users considering becoming customers and needing a forwarding option.

I would NOT have purchased Ooma or the Premium package had I known of this "infrastructure limitiation".
That is exactly my point and one that I want addressed by Ooma.
In any case - thank you again for your attempts to help.
#91494 by lbmofo
Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:31 pm
bigjohn, welcome to the Ooma forum. Ooma knows of this issue and they are trying to correct; hopefully, they are on schedule and fix this soon. In the mean time, you are saying some other Voip calls are not triggering forward as well? Perhaps, you can try to fix those in the meantime. The only thing I can think of would be maybe your anonymous call block is blocking them (blacklist also would prevent multi-ring/forward but I don't think that is the problem?) Check if you have anonymous block on here: https://my.ooma.com/privacy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests