Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#87861 by Luv4Toyz
Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:42 am
I've been an Ooma user for only about two months. So far I have really enjoyed the service and the savings by not havinga land-line phone anylonger. However, this week my Ooma Telo has started going off-line. I can cycle the power off, and then back on and it will connect just fine. All lights blue. But within about 15 minutes it's back off-line again with the flower flashing red. My Internet is fine. I have no connection issues with my computers or mobile devices. I've tried connecting Ooma between modem and router, and connecting off of the router port, but get the same results either way. Does anyone know why this is happening now after two months?
#87864 by thunderbird
Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:04 pm
Luv4Toyz wrote:I've been an Ooma user for only about two months. So far I have really enjoyed the service and the savings by not havinga land-line phone anylonger. However, this week my Ooma Telo has started going off-line. I can cycle the power off, and then back on and it will connect just fine. All lights blue. But within about 15 minutes it's back off-line again with the flower flashing red. My Internet is fine. I have no connection issues with my computers or mobile devices. I've tried connecting Ooma between modem and router, and connecting off of the router port, but get the same results either way. Does anyone know why this is happening now after two months?

First try this:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem, your Router and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Router. When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

If your problem continues contact Ooma Customer Support. If your Ooma device is found to be defective, and withing the one year warranty period, Ooma will send shipping prepaid, another Ooma device. They will also send a prepaid shipping label to return the defective Ooma device.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#88099 by sherrondee
Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:04 pm
I had a problem with the power cord that sounds similar to your problem. The power cord connection to the telo was loose.
I finally received a new power cord from Ooma and it works fine. I diagnosed the problem by moving the power cord around on the back of the telo.
Good luck
#88422 by Luv4Toyz
Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:51 am
I tried the settings recommended by thunderbird. It's been two weeks and Ooma has been stable. My Ooma Telo has not gone off-line at all. I'm not really sure what the MAC address is, but changing that setting seems to have resolved the issue. I'm also not clear on why a unit would work fine for several weeks, and then suddenly have issues with a setting like that. It seems that a device with a wrong setting for a particular situation would simply not work at all, instead of becoming touchy after being in service for some time. Oh well, I guess it's one of those tech mysteries to ponder as I get older and the gap between my knowledge/experience and changing technology widens faster and faster. Sometimes I feel like my Grandmother with a VCR that is blinking 12:00 a.m. and I just can't figure out why. Thanks again thunderbird.