Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#84754 by pjh
Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:51 am
Not sure what's up with this, as it used to work. Trying to send a fax using a HP-900 fax machine, with phone cord connected to back of Ooma Scout. Tried dialing *99 , then the number. Used to work, but now I continue to get a message that says fax was incomplete. I can hear the fax tone from the answering machine, it's just that the transmission won't go through. All the fax settings on my machine appear to be correct.

Any suggestions? (I can't connect via the Hub as it's located in another area, far from the fax machine).

Thanks.
#84757 by lbmofo
Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:08 am
I am impressed that you got the Scout to fax before. All docs point to that not working.... I wonder if others have had success with Scout faxing too.

Can you make use of your house wiring to distribute Ooma dialtone? (Make sure Telephone company is disconnected from your house wiring at the NIB outside your house).

That could solve your problem.
#84789 by pjh
Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:38 pm
Thanks for the suggestion . . . I've tried plugging the fax line into all the phone outlets nearby but no luck (not even a dial tone). As mentioned, I can dial out on the fax using *99 and it seems to connect to the fax tone at the other end, but for some reason it keeps coming up as "incomplete." According to the HP manual, the error code I'm getting (405) indicates "receiving station did not respond, communication error).

I'm guessing that there's a simple solution, but I haven't been able to get it sorted yet. Any other ideas/suggestions would be welcomed.
#84791 by lbmofo
Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:15 pm
If I were you, I'd get the fax close to the Hub to do some testing first. All you need is a power outlet near the Hub so you can power the fax. Directly connect the fax to Hub's phone port.

Once satisfied with the result, do disconnect your house wiring from the phone company at the NIB: viewtopic.php?t=6853 and distribute Ooma dialtone throughout your house.

Before plugging in Ooma dialtone (phone port) to a house walljack near the Hub, combine the HPNA signal (wall port) using a duplex splitter so your whole house has Ooma dialtone as well as the HPNA signal (so your Scout would work).
#84824 by pjh
Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:51 pm
Tried the fax machine plugged directly into the Hub and the fax seemed to go through. I then went outside and disconnected the Telco to the house . . . then connected a cord from the wall jack to the phone port on the Hub and got Ooma in other wall jacks.

Then I took the fax machine back into my office, plugged it into a wall jack and tried to send a fax. Still shows up as incomplete, although I can hear it connecting to the other fax tone and the paper being transmitted goes through. Tried one more time another wall jack in another room, this time dialing *99-then 1-area code-phone number (it was a local call) and it shows as completed. Guess I'll have to play around with it a little more to see why it didn't work with the jack in my office (I have a splitter on it, with one cord going to the Scout, maybe that's the issue).
#84825 by lbmofo
Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:02 pm
For the Scouts to work, don't forget to "mix" the "wall" & "phone" port at the Hub using a splitter before plugging into the walljack.

If you have a DSL filter handy, you can connect that at the fax machine; heard people have better experience with faxing. FYI, DSL filter will kill the Scout signal; Scouts won't work behind a DSL filter.
#84934 by pjh
Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:59 pm
Thought I'd post my latest results. I should mention that I have one line with the Hub (i.e. 1111), a second line with the Scout (i.e 2222).

If I plug in the fax to a wall jack, I can send a fax on 1111. I can also receive a fax on that same line, although, and maybe it's due to the age of my fax machine, I can only get it to receive if the fax answers a call with a fax tone (the setting for it to automatically detect a fax tone during the outgoing message doesn't seem to work).

I tried plugging the fax into the Scout (using a splitter and then directly) in order to send and receive faxes on line 2222. No luck there. So I'm assuming all the jacks in the house are line 1111 and only the Scout is linked to 2222. Make sense? Any idea of how to get the fax to dial out or receive on line 2222?

Pre Ooma days, I had a device called "The Stick," somewhat similar to a power strip that had outlets for the wall line, lines 1 and 2, fax and modem. Essentially, it automatically diverted calls to the correct device. Tried to see if it would work with Ooma but doesn't seem to want to cooperate (can't even get a dial tone when I plug various cables into it).