Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#84406 by dran001
Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:39 am
Be aware that after I bought Ooma for about $200 and used it for six months with a second number, that now I can't use the second number any more unless I buy the premium service.

All I wanted was one number with Ooma and to connect my Ooma to the internet Only because I didn't want that phone to ring unless they called the Ooma number. I have DSL and I decided I didn't want to separate my DSL from the phone service because I would lose my bundled savings. But customer support said that my internet-only configuration was not allowed any more even though I had it hooked up this way and it worked from January thru July 1, 2011.

My only alternative was to cancel the service since the extra $13 for a second line (premium service + access charges) was not worth it to me. Now I'm out the $200 for the hardware plus about $200 of my time in setup and getting the second number working in the first place. Along with the time wasted on initiating two support calls after my current configuration stopped working. "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." I'm sorry I invested in it. :(
#84410 by thunderbird
Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:14 pm
dran001:
It's a little hard to understand, but is what I'm hearing is that you received six month of Premier second line service for free, and now you are complaining? I would be feeling pretty good. I certainly wouldn't have canceled my Ooma phone service over something like that. I would have just continued with the one line service only.
#84421 by lbmofo
Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:29 pm
dran001, you could have called Ooma customer service to make your 2ndary number your primary. That would have solved your problem. Ooma does not force people to sign up to Premier. DSL only will always cost less than phone service + DSL unless you are in limited promotional period of some kind that doesn't last forever.
#84424 by southsound
Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:26 pm
dran001: too bad that your first post here was to say you have given up and that ooma was a rip off. If you had posted your situation here and asked for help you would have found that there are many experts who are more than willing to give you assistance in accomplishing your goal. Instead, you have said goodbye and to that we all bid you a fond adieu. :cool:

PS: Notice that in the last three replies to your post those responding have a total of over 8000 posts - helping people make ooma work in their specific situation. Are you sure you want to give up? Now that you have posted in a large font that equates to shouting and vented your misplaced anger, would you like us to help you?
#84476 by dran001
Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:01 pm
I called customer support twice and told them what I wanted to do and no one offered to allow me to switch the system to one number. It just sounded like customer support was trying to get me to switch to premium service that I didn't want or need. The first support guy just told me that I had to have the phone plugged into my existing phone system even though I told him that I only wanted to use Ooma for a second line and I wanted to keep my existing phone service. He didn't tell me that this would disable my second number. Why would I need Ooma if I can only use it with my existing phone number which is already supplied by my phone company?

The whole thing sounds like a bait and switch to me. They force you to start out with premium service so that you don't even learn how the system should work once they get around to disabling the premium service when you opt out.
#84482 by murphy
Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:15 am
Your problem is that you integrated your Ooma with your existing landline phone system when you activated it.
If you had activated it as a standalone system you would have had a second number that was independent of your landline.
No Premier required.

Ooma has recognized the futility of the integrated landline.
New Telos no longer have a Wall port so landline integration is not possible.