Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#78982 by joetucson
Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:04 pm
For the past two years I have used my Ooma hub as L2 and my land line as L1. I have an ONQ phone distribution panel to eight locations throughout the home. I modified a standard one line phone cord by putting an RJ45 connector on the other end(wired as L2). The RJ14 end was connected to the "phone port" on the Ooma and the RJ45 was plugged into the ONQ distribution panel. This configuration worked perfectly. My land line was L1 and Ooma was L2 and all 2-line handsets worked throughout the home. I am not using the scout in my configuration.

Last week my Ooma line quit working. I only get a busy signal or no tone at all. The Ooma Hub does work just fine when I connect a phone directly to the phone port of the Ooma. It just will no longer work plugged into the distribution panel. If I power the Hub unit down and restart when integrated into the distribution panel , the first time I go off hook, I will get the Ooma dial tone which holds for 10 - 15 seconds before going to the busy signal tone.

I suspect something has changed on Ooma's end. I tried a new wire from the Hub to the panel but no change. I see that I am supposed to be able to enter *#*#001 to get the firmware version, but I am unable to do that. Can anyone from Ooma tell me if they have made some changes on their end?
#78984 by thunderbird
Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:22 pm
joetucson just some ideas and suggestions:

The Ooma Telo firmware update 45073 was only for the Ooma Telo. *#*#001 to get the firmware version, is a new added function for firmware 45073.

My only suggestion is to go into your My Ooma pages and make sure something hasn't changed (as if by itself).

And then there is the possiblity that your ONQ phone distribution panel is failing? Look on line and see if there is a forum for your panel. Maybe there may even be a firmware or bios update for your panel?

If the problem continues you may want to see if you can get Ooma Customer Support to reinstall your Ooma Hub's current Firmware.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#78988 by DTMF
Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:29 pm
You said you tried it with A phone plugged directly into the device. Did you try it with more than one of the SAME phones that didn't work in a wall jack? Seems to me like you haven't completely ruled out an issue affecting more than one of your phones until you do.
#78992 by lbmofo
Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:38 pm
That busy signal probably means your house circuit is experiencing a short somewhere or something to that effect.
Did you plug into your house wiring anything new recently? Any line splitters connected?
I would unplug every phone/device/splitter connected to your house wiring and see if dialtone stays.
If it does, add device/phone 1 at a time until you find the culprit device/phone.
#79017 by joetucson
Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:30 am
Thanks for the reply Thunderbird. The ONQ Enhanced Telecom module does not have any software. I have a spare (new) unit and I tried it with the same results. All handsets work for L1 my land line and when I plug the two line phones into the back of the Ooma Hub L1 becomes the Ooma line and it works just fine.

I looked at "My Ooma" pages. Not much there. Also setup.ooma looks good.

I still suspect I have a new firmware. Is there any way to check that I have?
#79018 by joetucson
Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:33 am
DTMF wrote:You said you tried it with A phone plugged directly into the device. Did you try it with more than one of the SAME phones that didn't work in a wall jack? Seems to me like you haven't completely ruled out an issue affecting more than one of your phones until you do.

Hi, yes I tried with all 4 units. I also moved units around. No luck
#79021 by thunderbird
Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:00 am
joetucson wrote:Thanks for the reply Thunderbird. The ONQ Enhanced Telecom module does not have any software. I have a spare (new) unit and I tried it with the same results. All handsets work for L1 my land line and when I plug the two line phones into the back of the Ooma Hub L1 becomes the Ooma line and it works just fine.

I looked at "My Ooma" pages. Not much there. Also setup.ooma looks good.

I still suspect I have a new firmware. Is there any way to check that I have?

With a computer connected to your Ooma Hub's Home port with a network cable, Type in http://172.27.35.1 in your computer's browser window. The firmware version should be on the upper right side. But I don't know what the current version Ooma Hub firmware is? You may have to call Ooma Customer Support for that. I haven't heard about any Ooma Hub Firmware update lately. So if something changed, it could be on Ooma's side.

You said when a single phone is plugged into your Ooma Hub it works fine. I wonder if your Ooma Hub is failing when there is more than a "one phone" load on the Ooma Hub phone port? Maybe you could borrow someone else’s Ooma Hub, with the same service level that you have, and test? That would certainly finish the circle of tests for all of the equipment that you have.
#79024 by tomcat
Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:28 am
joetucson:
A short in your wiring could be causing the issue as lbmofo had suggested earlier. If you have an multi-meter, disconnect everything from your wiring and see what reading you get with your meter when you check for resistance. You should get the same reading when testing the circuit as you would when not touching anything at all. If you do get a reading, then your wires are touching somewhere in the mix.