Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#69261 by bigdaddy
Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:08 am
Hi,
Since the beginning I have been having issues getting my ooma working smoothly. Many time I pick up the phone get the ooma dialtone make a call but nothing happens. The phone doesn't ring. Just silence.
I finally figured out how to get to OOma setup (I know, I'm not so tech savvy.) I wanted to see if I could configure the box there but all I get is gibberish, and I can't change any of the settings.
Any ideas how I could get the settings to come up and not the gibberish?
Thanks!!
A
#69264 by lbmofo
Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:02 am
Are you using Google Chrome by any chance? Use a different browser to get to setup.ooma.com

If you can put Ooma between the modem and router, I'd go for that and do the following setup: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9536#p66155

Currently, with your Ooma behind the router, there maybe router firewall components at play preventing proper operation.
#69268 by bigdaddy
Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:41 am
Wow, thanks for the diferent browser advice. That was the trick.
As for setup, I have a modem/router built in one. From what I've been reading is that always going to cause me issues in terms of quality of service?
Thanks
A
#69270 by bigdaddy
Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:44 am
To be more specific about my issue. It's not the quality o the actual when it goes through. My issue has been that sometimes I just can't make calls. Sometimes it helps to unplug the hub and plug it back in. sometimes that doesn't help.
THanks for the advice!
#69271 by lbmofo
Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:52 am
Sounds like you are losing internet connection to your Ooma once in a while.

For your setup, I'd "Use Built in Modem Port MAC address"

Disable Ooma QoS by setting both up and down to 0

While configuring QoS, if Quality of Service section has and entry "Reserved Bandwidth for Calls (Kbps):" set it to 215 instead of the default 130

After above, check into whether your modem/router combo is cutting off internet connection after a period of inactivity. Example: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2283&start=10#p15766