Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#65366 by johndomz
Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:04 pm
I am into my 3rd week with this system. Caller ID really stinks. I'm still hooked up with Verizon while my number is being ported, but having 2nd thoughts about staying. My main phone is connected to Ooma router while other phones still with Verizon. Other phones show complete caller ID numbers and names 98%+/- of the time as usual. The Ooma phone shows over half the calls as "Unknown" which includes all cell phone calls including family and friends who show up OK on the Verizon line. Almost all other "ID" caller names are unrecognizalble with various symbols intermixed with letters, e.g.: "Joe Baciagaloup" shows up as "J o/ B*_ga>lo" or something of that nature. The phone numbers are likewise messed up. Does anyone have any suggestions? Ooma replied to my e-mail with "we're sorry" or something like that and claim that the "unknown" ID's are people who may have opted to not be identified which is unadulterated BS because they work fine on the Verizon sysytem. Any suggestions or ideas will bne appreciated. Thank you, JD
#65369 by ntoy
Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:26 pm
Hello,

I see you have landline configured which means callerid service is controlled through your phone provider.

My suggestion would be to change to nonlandline by selecting one of our numbers or have the 2nd number replace your main Ooma number. You can contact our support folks to make that switch & try it out. If you are satisfied, you may want to think about number port later on.
#65371 by nibes
Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:54 pm
My porting was completed today. Everything seems fine, but I have a question with caller ID. The number shows, but not the name of the caller, even when the name and number are stored on my Ooma contact list. Is this normal? Is Ooma working to improve this so that the name shows as well? It is a feature I'd hate to lose!
#65374 by ntoy
Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:06 pm
Hello nibes,

Congrats! I would give it about a week. If you still have a problem, please contact our support folks to investigate further.
#65376 by nibes
Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:16 pm
Hello ntoy - thanks! I hope it fixes itself. One of my phones has talking caller ID. For now, it simply says, for example, Cell phone, C A. (for Califonia)
#65681 by johndomz
Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:30 am
After reading so many of the posts regarding Caller ID problems, and not wanting to try jumping through so many hoops to make it work (possibly), and with the continuing unresolved problem of Caller ID unreliability, I cancelled my account today. Also received an RA number from the online vendor where I purchased the OomaTelo and will send it back for a full refund. Perhaps your system may work with cable internet, but I suspect working with DSL has a lot of unresolved bugs. I was hoping to save some money by dropping my landline provider, but not at this time. Perhaps in the future when you get your act together and iron out the bugs, I'll try again.
#65689 by nibes
Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:22 pm
Actually, my called ID problems do seem to be ironing themselves out. I have no idea why it takes time, rather than a simple on or off. I am considering giving my number back to AT&T AND keeping Ooma. I'll get the cheapest local only service and save at least half. My issue is many of my calls are similar to two cellphones talking to each other with all the frustrating delays, so you end up both talking at the same time, then both stopping, etc. I'll have to see how it works for a longer time before I make any decisions.

I'm on an wireless broadband connection - I live in the county where there are no other options.